From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/11/2010 01:34 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> On 8/11/2010 4:18 PM, fisico32 wrote:
>> Hello Forum,
>>
>> a common wire antenna works the best when its size is equal to half the
>> incident radiation wavelength.
>> That means that the physical size is a constraint in terms of the
>> operating
>> bandwidth and performance.
>>
>> There are frequency independent antennas that have a finite size but can
>> work on a much larger bandwidth...How can they do that?
>> Those antennas are self-scaling....in what sense?
>> The flat spiral antenna is an example.
>>
>> Does it means that by simple rotating the antenna we get the smaller and
>> larger scale of the antenna itself? So what?
>>
>> A wire antenna that is 1 meter long is also made of smaller straight wire
>> sections which are smaller versions of the antenna, but that is not a
>> frequency independent antenna....
>> thanks!
>
> Broadband antennas are self-similar on different scales, much like
> fractal patterns. One example is the log-periodic antenna, described in
> http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/log_p/log_periodic.php
> A long bow-tie is broadband also. You can see that when you realize that
> the part of the antenna beyond where most of the energy has radiated
> away doesn't count. In effect, these antennas adjust their effective
> length to match the RF wavelength.

I believe that the quoted log spiral falls into that "self-similar" set,
as does the discone antenna (which is basically a dizzy bowtie).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
> Jerry Avins<jya(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>> On 8/11/2010 4:18 PM, fisico32 wrote:
>
>>> a common wire antenna works the best when its size is equal to
>>> half the incident radiation wavelength.
> (snip)
>>> There are frequency independent antennas that have a finite
>>> size but can work on a much larger bandwidth...How can they do that?
> (snip)
>
>> Broadband antennas are self-similar on different scales, much like
>> fractal patterns. One example is the log-periodic antenna, described in
>> http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/antennas/log_p/log_periodic.php
>> A long bow-tie is broadband also. You can see that when you realize that
>> the part of the antenna beyond where most of the energy has radiated
>> away doesn't count. In effect, these antennas adjust their effective
>> length to match the RF wavelength.
>
> I hadn't thought of it that way before. Though the range of the
> whole UHF TV band now (with higher channels removed) is less than
> a factor of 2:1. The VHF TV channels cover a range from 54MHz
> to 216MHz, a factor of 4:1.
>
> A low-Q UHF antenna near the middle of the band won't be so far
> off on either end.

A log-periodic array will have much more consistent directional
properties, though.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/11/2010 02:41 PM, Clay wrote:
> On Aug 11, 4:18 pm, "fisico32"<marcoscipioni1(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello Forum,
>>
>> a common wire antenna works the best when its size is equal to half the
>> incident radiation wavelength.
>> That means that the physical size is a constraint in terms of the operating
>> bandwidth and performance.
>>
>> There are frequency independent antennas that have a finite size but can
>> work on a much larger bandwidth...How can they do that?
>> Those antennas are self-scaling....in what sense?
>> The flat spiral antenna is an example.
>>
>> Does it means that by simple rotating the antenna we get the smaller and
>> larger scale of the antenna itself? So what?
>>
>> A wire antenna that is 1 meter long is also made of smaller straight wire
>> sections which are smaller versions of the antenna, but that is not a
>> frequency independent antenna....
>> thanks!
>> fisico32
>
> Hohlfeld& Cohen of course worked out the exact two requitrements for
> frequency independence.
>
> 1) You need self similarity
>
> 2) The feed point needs to be a point of symmetry of the antenna.

Is that "can only be if 1 and 2 are satisfied", or is that "is true if
and only if 1 and 2 are satisfied"?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Jerry Avins <jya(a)ieee.org> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>> Also, you mention the effect on a transmitting antenna.
>> The same should be true for a receiving antenna, but it isn't
>> so obvious.

> I agree not so obvious on its face, but the reciprocity theorem saves
> the day. (The reciprocity theorem follows from the second law of
> thermodynamics. I believe it.)

I remember in a frosh class someone trying an example of
a parially reflecting ellipsoid such that it would violate
reciprocity, focussing more light on one side than the other.

-- glen
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote:
(snip, I wrote)

>> I hadn't thought of it that way before. Though the range of the
>> whole UHF TV band now (with higher channels removed) is less than
>> a factor of 2:1. The VHF TV channels cover a range from 54MHz
>> to 216MHz, a factor of 4:1.

>> A low-Q UHF antenna near the middle of the band won't be so far
>> off on either end.

> A log-periodic array will have much more consistent directional
> properties, though.

How about a two-dimensional array of bow-ties?

Usually only two across, but one could do more than that.
I believe I used to know some that were sold with optional
cross-coupler such that you could connect them in parallel.
(The spacing carefully chosen to impedance match the combination.)

-- glen