From: Jerry Avins on
On 8/11/2010 11:13 PM, fisico32 wrote:

> Could anyone please define self-similarity requirement?
> I know what a fractal is. It is self-similar: its small scales look the
> same as the large scales...
>
> But a wire antenna is a straight wire made of small straight
> wires...however it is not self-similar....Why?

The divisions between the straight segments is only imaginary, not
salient. The EM waves can't figure out where one segment ends and the
next begins.

Jerry
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Clay wrote:

> Hohlfeld & Cohen of course worked out the exact two requitrements for
> frequency independence.

What is meant by "frequency independence" in this context?
I.e. what antenna parameters are frequency independent?

> 1) You need self similarity
>
> 2) The feed point needs to be a point of symmetry of the antenna.
>
> Using just these two constraints and Maxwell's equations you can prove
> frequency independence.

Wait a minite. If frequency independence is exact, it must subsist all
the way down to DC. How could it be for other then infinities or the
trivial cases?

> Details in this paper:
> SELF-SIMILARITY AND THE GEOMETRIC
> REQUIREMENTS FOR FREQUENCY
> INDEPENDENCE IN ANTENNAE
>
> ROBERT G. HOHLFELD & NATHAN COHEN

Could you post a link?

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
(snip)

> Wait a minite. If frequency independence is exact, it must subsist all
> the way down to DC. How could it be for other then infinities or the
> trivial cases?

No need to go below about 7Hz, the resonant frequency of the earth.
(and commonly used to communicate with submarines (very slowly))

On the upper end, there is VUV, vacuum ultraviolet, optical frequencies
that won't go through air.

-- glen
From: Steve Pope on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

>A good source of detailed information about antenna design
>as the ARRL handbook, available in many public libraries.

I don't remember them covering log periodic designs, at
least not in depth because they are too broadband to be
of much advantage to amateurs.

I did however see some log periodics up on top of the hill
in Vatican City, along with a number of other of large
antenna types, many of which I did not recognize their design.
Imagine an infinite budget for long-range antennas for
the purpose of assisting shadowy fringe groups globally... that's
the Vatican antenna farm.

Steve
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

glen herrmannsfeldt wrote:

> Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> (snip)
>

>>Wait a minite. If frequency independence is exact, it must subsist all
>>the way down to DC. How could it be for other then infinities or the
>>trivial cases?
>
> No need to go below about 7Hz, the resonant frequency of the earth.
> (and commonly used to communicate with submarines (very slowly))

If an analytical function is exactly constant at an interval, it should
be constant everywhere.