From: Tim Wescott on
On 08/11/2010 09:15 PM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Clay wrote:
>

>> Hohlfeld & Cohen of course worked out the exact two requitrements for
>> frequency independence.
>
> What is meant by "frequency independence" in this context?
> I.e. what antenna parameters are frequency independent?
>
>> 1) You need self similarity
>>
>> 2) The feed point needs to be a point of symmetry of the antenna.
>>
>> Using just these two constraints and Maxwell's equations you can prove
>> frequency independence.
>
> Wait a minite. If frequency independence is exact, it must subsist all
> the way down to DC. How could it be for other then infinities or the
> trivial cases?

Lest you be called a name that ends in "ident", look up "approximation"
in the dictionary.

Most "frequency independent" antennas that I've seen are roughly so,
over a range of frequencies, and the lower the range, the bigger the
antenna.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Tim Wescott wrote:

> On 08/11/2010 09:15 PM, Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:
>

>> Clay wrote:
>>

>>> Hohlfeld & Cohen of course worked out the exact two requitrements for
>>> frequency independence.

>> What is meant by "frequency independence" in this context?
>> I.e. what antenna parameters are frequency independent?
>>
>>> 1) You need self similarity
>>>
>>> 2) The feed point needs to be a point of symmetry of the antenna.
>>>
>>> Using just these two constraints and Maxwell's equations you can prove
>>> frequency independence.
>>

>> Wait a minite. If frequency independence is exact, it must subsist all
>> the way down to DC. How could it be for other then infinities or the
>> trivial cases?
>

> Lest you be called a name that ends in "ident", look up "approximation"
> in the dictionary.
>
> Most "frequency independent" antennas that I've seen are roughly so,
> over a range of frequencies, and the lower the range, the bigger the
> antenna.

Of course I am aware of wideband antennae, which are approximations of
some kind. A common parabolic mirror would work anywhere from decimeter
waves to UV. But Clay mentioned the EXACT solution, did he?

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Vladimir Vassilevsky wrote:

> Clay wrote:
>

>> Hohlfeld & Cohen of course worked out the exact two requitrements for
>> frequency independence.
>

> What is meant by "frequency independence" in this context?
> I.e. what antenna parameters are frequency independent?
>
>> 1) You need self similarity
>>
>> 2) The feed point needs to be a point of symmetry of the antenna.
>>
>> Using just these two constraints and Maxwell's equations you can prove
>> frequency independence.
>

> Wait a minite. If frequency independence is exact, it must subsist all
> the way down to DC. How could it be for other then infinities or the
> trivial cases?
>

>> Details in this paper:
>> SELF-SIMILARITY AND THE GEOMETRIC
>> REQUIREMENTS FOR FREQUENCY
>> INDEPENDENCE IN ANTENNAE
>>
>> ROBERT G. HOHLFELD & NATHAN COHEN
>>
> Could you post a link?

Here is the article:

http://www.mssu.edu/math/glathrom/fractal_antennae_paper.pdf

They consider *infinitely long* structures which allows them to dismiss
(1/s) factor on the both sides of the Maxwell equations. Devil is in the
details, as usual.