From: Angus on
Hello

I have a Windows XP PC, SP3 and ftp does not list folders. You can
login, connect but as soon as you try to list folders it just times
out. It is the same with IE, the command line ftp client and FTP
Explorer.

I have no firewall running. It is the same for any ftp site.

Other computers on my LAN can connect fine to FTP servers.

I guess it is some sort of ms networking issue - winsock?

Can anyone give me some tips as to how to fix?

Angus
From: Shenan Stanley on
Angus wrote:
> I have a Windows XP PC, SP3 and ftp does not list folders. You can
> login, connect but as soon as you try to list folders it just times
> out. It is the same with IE, the command line ftp client and FTP
> Explorer.
>
> I have no firewall running. It is the same for any ftp site.
>
> Other computers on my LAN can connect fine to FTP servers.
>
> I guess it is some sort of ms networking issue - winsock?
>
> Can anyone give me some tips as to how to fix?

Are you saying that even with a true GUI client (FileZilla or WinSCP for
example) it does not work correctly?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Johnny Shane on
On Mar 28, 3:40 pm, Angus <anguscom...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a Windows XP PC, SP3 and ftp does not list folders.  You can
> login, connect but as soon as you try to list folders it just times
> out.  It is the same with IE, the command line ftp client and FTP
> Explorer.
>
> I have no firewall running.  It is the same for any ftp site.
>
> Other computers on my LAN can connect fine to FTP servers.
>
> I guess it is some sort of ms networking issue - winsock?
>
> Can anyone give me some tips as to how to fix?
>
> Angus

just reset your winsock entries on your broken computer and try again
From: John Wunderlich on
Angus <anguscomber(a)gmail.com> wrote in news:78636ccc-3d13-4ca4-a897-
1fcf0920400b(a)r1g2000yqj.googlegroups.com:

> Hello
>
> I have a Windows XP PC, SP3 and ftp does not list folders. You can
> login, connect but as soon as you try to list folders it just times
> out. It is the same with IE, the command line ftp client and FTP
> Explorer.
>
> I have no firewall running. It is the same for any ftp site.
>
> Other computers on my LAN can connect fine to FTP servers.
>
> I guess it is some sort of ms networking issue - winsock?
>
> Can anyone give me some tips as to how to fix?
>
> Angus

This problem is typical of a Active Mode vs Passive Mode FTP
disconnect.

If you have a NAT router (i.e. typical home router) at the client end
of the connection , then you usually must use Passive Mode FTP.
Windows command-mode FTP client only supports Active mode. If this is
what you're using, try switching to a different FTP client that
supports Passive mode FTP such as Filezilla.

<http://filezilla-project.org/>

HTH,
John