From: Debra Lopez on
Hi All,

Can somebody explain me the difference between functions and PROCs
that calculate the same simple descriptive statistics?

Thanks
From: Ya on
On Jul 8, 11:01 am, Debra Lopez <debralope...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Can somebody explain me the difference between functions and PROCs
> that calculate the same simple descriptive statistics?
>
> Thanks

procs is used to calculate the descriptive statistics against the
values in one variable, so the data is vertical.
function, on the other hand, is used to calculated against values of a
group of variables, so the data is horizontal.

HTH

Ya
From: Andrew Karp Sierra Info Services on
Let me try to answer this another way:

Analytical procedures work on the variables (or 'columns') in a data
set and SAS functions are used in a Data Step to operate on the
observations (or 'rows') in the file, one at a time.

Here is a quick example. Suppose you had a data set with test data
from ten students. For each student you have four test scores, SCORE1,
SCORE2, etc...

If you wanted to find the average (mean) for each of the four scores
for all ten students, you would likely use PROC MEANS or SUMARRY or
UNIVARIATE to have SAS compute "work down the columns" to calculate
the mean of each of the four scores.

On the other hand, if you wanted to calculate the mean score for each
STUDENT, you would likely use the MEAN programming language function
to have SAS calculate the average (mean) score for each student and
assign that value to a new column/variable in the data set.

Hope this helps....

Andrew Karp
Sierra Information Services
http://www.sierrainformation.com