From: The Natural Philosopher on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:

>>> Yes.
> ^^^^
>> No.
>>
>> At least, assuming you're discussing doing this from Javascript in a
>> web browser. For any POST you perform, the server could send a
>> redirect to a GET.
>>
>> If you have control on the server-side, you could echo the request
>> type into a JS variable; in PHP it might be
>>
>> var httpMethod = "<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD']; ?>"
>
> See, there is a way :)

Right little humourist, is our resident elf...;-)

From: Evertjan. on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 25 jan 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:
> Scott Sauyet wrote:

>>> Yes.
> ^^^^
>> No.
>>
>> At least, assuming you're discussing doing this from Javascript in a
>> web browser. For any POST you perform, the server could send a
>> redirect to a GET.
>>
>> If you have control on the server-side, you could echo the request
>> type into a JS variable; in PHP it might be
>>
>> var httpMethod = "<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD']; ?>"
>
> See, there is a way :)

No there is not.

The new page can never know if the page request is
1 a result of a bona fide form-get
or
2 just from a link contaning an URL with querystring.

You can never know if the page request is from a
form-post just if it tests positive a querystring
as this could be contained in the form post action='...?a=b'.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Scott Sauyet on
On Jan 25, 4:00 pm, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...(a)interxnl.net> wrote:
> The new page can never know if the page request is
> 1 a result of a bona fide form-get
> or
> 2 just from a link contaning an URL with querystring.

I'm not sure that is a meaningful distinction. At the HTTP level,
both are GET requests, so even the server doesn't distinguish this.

-- Scott
From: Evertjan. on
Scott Sauyet wrote on 25 jan 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

> On Jan 25, 4:00�pm, "Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivo...(a)interxnl.net> wrote:
>> The new page can never know if the page request is
>> 1 a result of a bona fide form-get
>> or
>> 2 just from a link contaning an URL with querystring.
>
> I'm not sure that is a meaningful distinction. At the HTTP level,
> both are GET requests, so even the server doesn't distinguish this.

No, they could also be POST requests at ther same time.

If you define a GET request als if without a querystring,
the whole OQ is meaningless.

The only interesting Q is if there is POST content
and if there is querytring content.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.
From: Eric Bednarz on
"Evertjan." <exjxw.hannivoort(a)interxnl.net> writes:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 25 jan 2010 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> Scott Sauyet wrote:

>>> [OP, ed.]

>>> var httpMethod = "<?php echo $_SERVER['REQUEST_METHOD']; ?>"
>>
>> See, there is a way :)
>
> No there is not.

I read that as wanting to know the request method, and I would think
that a HTTP server cannot resolve a resource and send response headers
without knowing that.

I wonder what you read.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6