From: Wasim Bashir on
Hi,

I have replicated this on a test box, if you do a net cache flush, then
restart samba and winbind,

run getent passwd (only displays local users)
then net cache list (will display all cache of remote users)

The only way i know to fix this is to rename idmap config <name> and
restart samba/winbind... but a week later the problem will be back..

seems strange to me, is this a bug with 3.3.9 or am i missing something here
?

Thanks,

Wasim

Wasim Bashir wrote:
>I am having a weird issue with samba where once a week approximately at
>the
>same time users will lose connectivity,
>
>if i run
>
>wbinfo -u all users are displayed
>wbinfo -g all groups are displayed
>
>However running getent passwd only shows local-users, no remote users
are
>shown..
>
>To fix the issue I have to change the name of my idmap config and
restart
>samba and winbind and everything works fine for a week...
>
>Am I missing something obvious here ? I have attached my config below :
>

>[global]
> security = ads
> max mux = 16384
> log file = /home/sites/samba-log/log.%m
>
> ldap timeout = 45
> ldap connection timeout = 30
> max open files = 100000
> realm = merlin.internaloffice.co.uk
> password server = 10.0.9.0
> workgroup = WEBHOSTING
> idmap backend = tdb
> idmap uid = 500-2000000
> idmap gid = 500-2000000
> winbind enum users = yes
> winbind enum groups = yes
> template homedir = /home/sites/%U
> template shell = /bin/bash
> client use spnego = yes
> client ntlmv2 auth = yes
> encrypt passwords = yes
> winbind use default domain = yes
> winbind nss info = template rfc2307
> restrict anonymous = 2
> idmap config WEBHOSTING : schema_mode = rfc2307
> idmap config WEBHOSTING : backend = ad
> idmap config WEBHOSTING : range = 500 -
300000000

>[home]
>hide dot files = no
>path = /home/sites
>read only = no
>dos filetime resolution = yes
>
>I am using samba 3.3.9, do we know whether this issue has been fixed in
>samba 3.4.x ?
>
>Any help greatly appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Wasim

Could it be a network issue rather than Samba itself - a switch being
turned off briefly, IP address being refreshed, DNS issue - that breaks
the communication with kerberos or PDC?

I heard of one site whose network was interrupted at the same time each
day, which they eventually traced to a heavy delivery lorry crushing a
badly-installed underground cable.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"