From: David Combs on
About a year ago was strongly advised to buy sony DRU-840A, for
blade-100, which I did. Box says

dvd+-RW/+-R/RAM/(looks like an exponent) CD ,

whatever all that means.

So now I want another one, but they no longer make them.

(What they do make as dvd includes BLUE-RAY -- more money,
and for which I have zero use.)

So, any suggestions?

(No, I don't want a $15 one from china, please! (That's what
one place suggested -- a $14 or $15 LITE-ON!))

So, suggestions?

Oh, is internal.

Oh, would be nice if Amazon sold it, because with the other
stuff I'm going to order in a few hours, I'd get free shipping for it.
But if not possible, well, then it's not possible.

THANKS SO MUCH!

David

From: Colin B. on
David Combs <dkcombs(a)panix.com> wrote:
> About a year ago was strongly advised to buy sony DRU-840A, for
> blade-100, which I did. Box says
>
> dvd+-RW/+-R/RAM/(looks like an exponent) CD ,
>
> whatever all that means.
>
> So now I want another one, but they no longer make them.
>
> (What they do make as dvd includes BLUE-RAY -- more money,
> and for which I have zero use.)
>
> So, any suggestions?
>
> (No, I don't want a $15 one from china, please! (That's what
> one place suggested -- a $14 or $15 LITE-ON!))
>
> So, suggestions?
>
> Oh, is internal.

A $15 Lite-On is probably as good as the next. DVD drives have become
junk commodity items, and nobody bothers to make any that are significantly
better than the next guy. It's just not worth it.

Make no mistake - the difference between a Sony and a Lite-On is miniscule.
They may even be made in the same factory on the same line.

Colin