From: Richard B. Gilbert on
David Combs wrote:
> About a year ago was strongly advised to buy sony DRU-840A, for
> blade-100, which I did. Box says
>
> dvd+-RW/+-R/RAM/(looks like an exponent) CD ,
>
> whatever all that means.
>
> So now I want another one, but they no longer make them.
>
> (What they do make as dvd includes BLUE-RAY -- more money,
> and for which I have zero use.)
>
> So, any suggestions?
>
> (No, I don't want a $15 one from china, please! (That's what
> one place suggested -- a $14 or $15 LITE-ON!))
>
> So, suggestions?
>
> Oh, is internal.
>
> Oh, would be nice if Amazon sold it, because with the other
> stuff I'm going to order in a few hours, I'd get free shipping for it.
> But if not possible, well, then it's not possible.
>

> THANKS SO MUCH!
>

> David

A quick Google search found several drives for sale!
From: David Combs on
In article <j4SdnWjDDsc1QMzRnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>David Combs wrote:
>> About a year ago was strongly advised to buy sony DRU-840A, for
>> blade-100, which I did. Box says
>>
>> dvd+-RW/+-R/RAM/(looks like an exponent) CD ,
>>
>> whatever all that means.
>>
>> So now I want another one, but they no longer make them.
>>
>> (What they do make as dvd includes BLUE-RAY -- more money,
>> and for which I have zero use.)
>>
>> So, any suggestions?
>>
>> (No, I don't want a $15 one from china, please! (That's what
>> one place suggested -- a $14 or $15 LITE-ON!))
>>
>> So, suggestions?
>>
>> Oh, is internal.
>>
>> Oh, would be nice if Amazon sold it, because with the other
>> stuff I'm going to order in a few hours, I'd get free shipping for it.
>> But if not possible, well, then it's not possible.
>>

>> THANKS SO MUCH!
>>

>> David
>>

>A quick Google search found several drives for sale!

Question: "several drives": do you mean the exact SAME
drive-model, etc, as I'd bought last year?

Well, I'd already noticed that Amazon had some -- but
seemed to me that they were all USED ones. Not quite
what I want.

My real questions is: were you guys to buy one *today*,
what *brand*, and model, would you get for the company
you work for?

Thanks

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
David Combs wrote:
> In article <j4SdnWjDDsc1QMzRnZ2dnUVZ_jWdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
> Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>> David Combs wrote:
>>> About a year ago was strongly advised to buy sony DRU-840A, for
>>> blade-100, which I did. Box says
>>>
>>> dvd+-RW/+-R/RAM/(looks like an exponent) CD ,
>>>
>>> whatever all that means.
>>>
>>> So now I want another one, but they no longer make them.
>>>
>>> (What they do make as dvd includes BLUE-RAY -- more money,
>>> and for which I have zero use.)
>>>
>>> So, any suggestions?
>>>
>>> (No, I don't want a $15 one from china, please! (That's what
>>> one place suggested -- a $14 or $15 LITE-ON!))
>>>
>>> So, suggestions?
>>>
>>> Oh, is internal.
>>>
>>> Oh, would be nice if Amazon sold it, because with the other
>>> stuff I'm going to order in a few hours, I'd get free shipping for it.
>>> But if not possible, well, then it's not possible.
>>>

>>> THANKS SO MUCH!
>>>

>>> David
>>>

>> A quick Google search found several drives for sale!
>

> Question: "several drives": do you mean the exact SAME
> drive-model, etc, as I'd bought last year?
>
> Well, I'd already noticed that Amazon had some -- but
> seemed to me that they were all USED ones. Not quite
> what I want.
>
> My real questions is: were you guys to buy one *today*,
> what *brand*, and model, would you get for the company
> you work for?
>
> Thanks

I Googled for the drive you specified, a DRU-840A. I got several hits.
Since *I* have no use for such a thing, I merely reported the
availability of such drives. I neglected to inquire if they were new or
used.

If you need these drives and no other make/model can be substituted, you
are going to have to take what you can get! If you are very lucky, the
drives may still be manufactured and you can buy one off the shelf. If
you are less lucky, you are going to have to buy used drives and hope!

If you expect to need drives for this application for many years, now
might be a good time to buy supplies sufficient to last for many years!
The world moves on and few people are willing to support antiques!