From: MowGreen on
Ǝиçεl has already provided you with one way to do what you want but you
chose to ignored his suggestion -

> don't approve any updates until you're ready and willing to reboot,

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

> Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

Configure Auto Update to Notify you when updates are available for
download and installation.

Do ***NOT*** install updates until you're ready to restart the system.
Is that too difficult too comprehend ? If it is, then the below is way
beyond your capabilities, too:
http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/05/xp-automatic-update-nagging.html

MowGreen
================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com

From: Tom Willett on
You need to stop using a computer. You aren't capable enough.

"spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
: Already up to the eyeballs in them!
:
: S
:
: "Tom Willett" <tom(a)youreadaisyifyoudo.com> wrote in message
: news:uTxRkse8KHA.3840(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
: > Take a tranquilizer.
: >
: > "spamlet" <spam.morespam(a)invalid.invalid> wrote in message
: > news:%23dKY35d8KHA.1436(a)TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
: > : No I don't want to have to stop what I'm doing and restart right now:
: > and
: > I
: > : don't want to be pestered either!
: > :
: > : Cheers,
: > : S
: > :
: > :
: >
: >
:
:

From: spamlet on
Yes, already aware of that, and this update *was* manually downloaded, in
the full knowledge of what was needed. Therefore it is a pain to be
'reminded' every 5 minutes, and not be given a 'don't tell me this again'
option.

From: Harry Johnston [MVP] on
On 2010-05-13 7:01 a.m., spamlet wrote:

> Yes, already aware of that, and this update *was* manually downloaded, in
> the full knowledge of what was needed. Therefore it is a pain to be
> 'reminded' every 5 minutes, and not be given a 'don't tell me this again'
> option.

I think you're missing MowGreen's point: wait until you're finished working
before installing the updates, so that when it wants to restart, you can say
"yes" straight away.

However, unless you're getting a countdown (which shouldn't be happening in the
default configuration, IIRC) you can always just move the dialog off the visible
part of the desktop and ignore it.

Harry.

> "MowGreen"<mowgreen(a)nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>> ??�?l has already provided you with one way to do what you want but you
>> chose to ignored his suggestion -
>>
>>> don't approve any updates until you're ready and willing to reboot,
>>
>> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525
>>
>>> Notify me but don't automatically download or install them
>>
>> Configure Auto Update to Notify you when updates are available for
>> download and installation.
>>
>> Do ***NOT*** install updates until you're ready to restart the system. Is
>> that too difficult too comprehend ? If it is, then the below is way beyond
>> your capabilities, too:
>> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/05/xp-automatic-update-nagging.html
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ================
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ================
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked
>>
>> spamlet wrote:
>>> Sorry I'm used to the XP fora: XP Home SP3, IE8 (seldom used because a
>>> painful slug); Avaast AV up to date: with email scanner off.
>>>
>>> I have already gone to the trouble of cancelling autoupdate, and gone
>>> through the lengthy 'manual' process 'you may get on with other things
>>> while
>>> update goes on' ha ha: 'We will pester you and pester you until you give
>>> up
>>> and turn off and reboot your pc' is what it ought to warn.
>>>
>>> Now, how do I turn off this very annoying behaviour.
>>>
>>> Cheers,

Harry Johnston
http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com
From: spamlet on
Thanks Harry: that sounds a possibility for next time: I've been and had my
dinner and let it do its thing now.

Cheers,

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry(a)scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
> On 2010-05-13 7:01 a.m., spamlet wrote:
>
>> Yes, already aware of that, and this update *was* manually downloaded, in
>> the full knowledge of what was needed. Therefore it is a pain to be
>> 'reminded' every 5 minutes, and not be given a 'don't tell me this again'
>> option.
>
> I think you're missing MowGreen's point: wait until you're finished
> working before installing the updates, so that when it wants to restart,
> you can say "yes" straight away.
>
> However, unless you're getting a countdown (which shouldn't be happening
> in the default configuration, IIRC) you can always just move the dialog
> off the visible part of the desktop and ignore it.
>
> Harry.

>> "MowGreen"<mowgreen(a)nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>>> ??�?l has already provided you with one way to do what you want but you
>>> chose to ignored his suggestion -

>>> How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

>>> Configure Auto Update to Notify you when updates are available for
>>> download and installation.
>>>
>>> Do ***NOT*** install updates until you're ready to restart the system.
>>> Is
>>> that too difficult too comprehend ? If it is, then the below is way
>>> beyond
>>> your capabilities, too:
>>> http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2005/05/xp-automatic-update-nagging.html
>>>

>>> MowGreen
>>> ================
>>> *-343-* FDNY
>>> Never Forgotten
>>>
>>> banthecheck.com

> Harry Johnston
> http://harryjohnston.wordpress.com

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: Clients showing Yellow Triangle marks
Next: KB974417