From: mc on
Does anyone know what other MB's that are usb 2.0 that would fit into
my gx240 tower.
mc
From: Ben Myers on
On 8/6/2010 2:15 PM, mc wrote:
> Does anyone know what other MB's that are usb 2.0 that would fit into
> my gx240 tower.
> mc

Dimension 8300 and Precision 360 are the only USB 2.0 boards that would
fit in a GX240 tower, unless you count the lamentable popping-capacitors
GX270. There are also a couple of boards from the Dell XPS line that
would fit. The only REAL difference between the XPS line and the
Dimension 8000 series is that the case of an XPS is absolutely huge and
colorful, compared to the Dimension/Precision basic black that goes with
anything else you wear.

If you retain the CPU from the GX240, you can use the same memory. But
the 8300 and the 360 both can use better Socket 478 P4 CPUs with 800Mhz
FSB, paired with faster memory. Also, these boards have four DDR memory
slots, instead of two like the GX240.

I am unsure if the Optiplex GX260 also supports USB 2.0.

Why not an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card??? ... Ben Myers

From: mc on
On Aug 6, 2:57 pm, Ben Myers <ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
> On 8/6/2010 2:15 PM, mc wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what other MB's that are usb 2.0 that would fit into
> > my gx240 tower.
> > mc
>
> Dimension 8300 and Precision 360 are the only USB 2.0 boards that would
> fit in a GX240 tower, unless you count the lamentable popping-capacitors
> GX270.  There are also a couple of boards from the Dell XPS line that
> would fit.  The only REAL difference between the XPS line and the
> Dimension 8000 series is that the case of an XPS is absolutely huge and
> colorful, compared to the Dimension/Precision basic black that goes with
> anything else you wear.
>
> If you retain the CPU from the GX240, you can use the same memory.  But
> the 8300 and the 360 both can use better Socket 478 P4 CPUs with 800Mhz
> FSB, paired with faster memory.  Also, these boards have four DDR memory
> slots, instead of two like the GX240.
>
> I am unsure if the Optiplex GX260 also supports USB 2.0.
>
> Why not an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card???  ... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben,
I tried a couple usb 2.0 cards but but some things like the pinnacle
usb TV has signal dropouts. I do not know the exact cause of this.
Maybe its the limit of 1gig of ram. I purchased a 550 watt Athena
power supply so the connectors should not be a problem. Which xps
boards would be a good choice to try?
mc
From: Ben Myers on
On 8/6/2010 3:07 PM, mc wrote:
> On Aug 6, 2:57 pm, Ben Myers<ben_my...(a)charter.net> wrote:
>> On 8/6/2010 2:15 PM, mc wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what other MB's that are usb 2.0 that would fit into
>>> my gx240 tower.
>>> mc
>>
>> Dimension 8300 and Precision 360 are the only USB 2.0 boards that would
>> fit in a GX240 tower, unless you count the lamentable popping-capacitors
>> GX270. There are also a couple of boards from the Dell XPS line that
>> would fit. The only REAL difference between the XPS line and the
>> Dimension 8000 series is that the case of an XPS is absolutely huge and
>> colorful, compared to the Dimension/Precision basic black that goes with
>> anything else you wear.
>>
>> If you retain the CPU from the GX240, you can use the same memory. But
>> the 8300 and the 360 both can use better Socket 478 P4 CPUs with 800Mhz
>> FSB, paired with faster memory. Also, these boards have four DDR memory
>> slots, instead of two like the GX240.
>>
>> I am unsure if the Optiplex GX260 also supports USB 2.0.
>>
>> Why not an inexpensive USB 2.0 PCI card??? ... Ben Myers
>
> Thanks Ben,
> I tried a couple usb 2.0 cards but but some things like the pinnacle
> usb TV has signal dropouts. I do not know the exact cause of this.
> Maybe its the limit of 1gig of ram. I purchased a 550 watt Athena
> power supply so the connectors should not be a problem. Which xps
> boards would be a good choice to try?
> mc

According to my spreadsheet/cheat sheet about older Dell systems, the
XPS Gen 2 uses a motherboard virtually identical to the Dimension 8300
board. Same Intel 875 chipset, same layout, different BIOS.

For sure, the XPS Gen 5 board is not an option. It is LGA775, not
Socket 478, and they require the unique power supply found inside the
chassis. I do not have first-hand experience with the Gen 3 and Gen 4,
but the specs on the Dell web site say "DDR2 memory", so these are also
LGA775 unsuitable for a GX240 chassis... Ben
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> I tried a couple usb 2.0 cards but but some things like the pinnacle
> usb TV has signal dropouts. I do not know the exact cause of this.

How about the USB host controller? Whose USB 2.0 controller is on this card?

I've had the best results with the NEC-based cards. The VIA ones work "most
of the time" but sometimes they act strangely. And, as the chipsets from VIA
are the cheapest out there, you can find that the quality of the card you
used is lacking.

Never heard of Athena power supplies...not saying they aren't perfectly
good, but you ought to be sure it's honestly specified! Dell's power
supplies from this timeframe are of good if not excellent quality and will
produce more power than the rating suggests.

William

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3
Prev: To all Thanks for the help!