From: White Spirit on
On 14/07/2010 19:41, Woody wrote:

> Shhh, don't tell anyone but the 6310i was even better than the
> 6210!

By the time the 6310 came out, I'd moved over to the 7210 and, later,
the 7650. The 7650 was well ahead of its time, even ignoring the camera
(about which I was incredibly cynical at the time).

From: White Spirit on
On 13/07/2010 22:19, Andy Burns wrote:

> Disable 3G (either permanently or unless in a known good 3G signal area)

I've never experienced these problems with the exception of an early
firmware version on an N96 and I always have 3G permanently enabled on
my handsets.
From: Andy Burns on
White Spirit wrote:

> Has he tried using a case? He could be experiencing the antenna
> attenuation that I believes troubles that particular handset, much like
> the iPhone 4.

There's no external metal antenna on the Desire, so a case is unlikely
to improve reception, holding it without the hand completely enclosing
the base of the phone /can/ make a difference.

From: Daniel James on
In article <qfqu36t0e367o1j2gh6b5ji44imdjfhqkl(a)4ax.com>, Peter wrote:
> Hang on, are you saying that 3G data is used to carry voice?

No, he's saying that 3G is a standard that includes provisions for
carrying voice and provisions for carrying data.

You /can/ digitize a voice signal yourself and transmit it over 3G as
data (as Skype/SIP do) -- and it may be cheaper to do so -- but that's
not how it's designed to be used.

It's a common misconception -- especially in the UK -- that 3G is a
data-only network. I suspect that the reason for this is that some of
the UK networks (all apart from 3, IIRC) started off using 3G only for
data and some time later began to support it for voice as well.

Cheers,
Daniel.

From: Andy Burns on
Daniel James wrote:

> I have the Legend, rather than the Desire, but I do find the signal-
> getting capability of this new phone significantly less good than that
> of my Nokia 6310i. I haven't found switching to GSM-only to make any
> difference.

I have the Nexus One on O2, and I find switching to 2G makes a huge
difference, in many locations I get 4 bars with no voice problems on 2G,
but on 3G I get 2 bars that drop to zero depending how you hold it and
that causes lots of dropouts on voice calls.

My previous two phones (SE C905 on O2 and SE K800 on Orange) appeared to
have issues handing over between 2G and 3G, ending up where the phone
would not be registered on the network, incoming calls could be missed,
I'd only notice when I went to make an outbound call, the phones had to
be rebooted.

Upgrading firmware made no difference, but disabling 3G cured the issues
on them both.