From: Paul on
In article <1136565265.640493.7350(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zark"
<etc1760(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> is there any way to reset the temperature sensor? do a diagnostic on
> it? the external cpu temp sensor is now reading 40C.

In terms of a diagnostic, in theory you could take the processor,
flip it over, and probe the two diode signals with an ohmmeter.
But don't ask me to do the math to convert the voltage
reading to a temperature :-)

qVd/nkT
Ifw = Is*(e - 1)

Ifw would be the applied ohmmeter current, and Intel recommends a
small current between 11 and 187 microamp forward bias. (Selecting
an ohmmeter range that uses 100 microamp might work.) Vd is the
voltage developed across the diode and displayed on the ohmmeter
display. T is the applied temperature in degrees Kelvin (above
absolute zero).

See PDF page 83.
http://download.intel.com/design/Pentium4/datashts/30235104.pdf

On PDF page 30 of the Winbond chip spec, there is a table showing
temperature register readout values from +125C to -55C. So,
in fact, you don't have to do any math on the Winbond (whew!).
The Winbond chip is using an internal lookup table, to convert
voltage value into a temperature reading in degrees C. The only
really puzzling thing, is why your readout is 124C instead of
the max 125C.

The implication here, is that your diode is open circuit.
One of the two (CPU internal) diode pins is not making contact
with the socket, or a connection is broken elsewhere on the
motherboard. The diode could also be open inside the processor
itself, but I would think Intel checked that before the processor
left the factory.

Paul
From: zark on
so it seems that the temperature sensor is in error, but what i still
cant figure out is why it will not slow/shut down the computer?

From: Paul on
In article <1136809226.698643.256010(a)g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zark"
<etc1760(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> so it seems that the temperature sensor is in error, but what i still
> cant figure out is why it will not slow/shut down the computer?

There are two diodes involved on the processor die:

diode #1 -----> processor internal throttle function
-----> processor internal overheat & shutdown

diode #2 -----> feeds Winbond monitor interface

The readings taken by the BIOS or by a utility when the OS is
running, do not have to act on the information they are
collecting. After all, it is known that diode #1 and the
associated circuitry is autonomous and can protect the
hardware well.

The fact that diode #2 and its associated hardware are
misconfigured, has no impact in this case.

*******

To consider another case, there is an eight pin chip on
an A7N8X family motherboard, that connects to a diode
on an AMD S462 processor. If that chip is misconfigured
(say the threshold is set too low), the motherboard
will shut off. The reason it is implemented that way,
is the old S462 processors didn't have any way to
defend against overheating, so an external chip was used
for CPU overheat prevention. It is more important not
to fool with that 8 pin chip, unless you want a lot
of nuisance shutdowns.

In your current situation, the processor is already
protected, and a faulty monitor chip or diode #2 is
merely annoying. And diode #1 should be fully tested
at the Intel factory.

Paul