From: zark on
hello-
i am using the p5gd2 premium mb with intel p4 3.2 cpu.

in the past week i have been getting "cpu over temperature" followed by
"press f1 to contimue"

this occurs on boot up, and i press f1 and it continues into windows-
the computer works fine, i did benchmarking tests and the system runs
as designed. i reattached the cpu cooler (thermaltake heat pipe
cooler). all the fans are running. i have placed a temperature probe
against the side of the cpu chip-its temperature varies between 34-45
degrees C-whereas the asus temperature on board sensor indicates that
it is 124 degrees C!!!!!!!!!

before getting this error message i had been putting my computer in
hibernation mode-though i dont think this lead to the temperature
error.

i also went into bios setup-didnt see anything out of the usual.

any advice? is the over temperature error false considering the other
temperature sensor readings? what to do? ignore it? would the computer
shut down/SLOW way down if it really were too hot?

From: Paul on
In article <1136506795.112213.104520(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zark"
<etc1760(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> hello-
> i am using the p5gd2 premium mb with intel p4 3.2 cpu.
>
> in the past week i have been getting "cpu over temperature" followed by
> "press f1 to contimue"
>
> this occurs on boot up, and i press f1 and it continues into windows-
> the computer works fine, i did benchmarking tests and the system runs
> as designed. i reattached the cpu cooler (thermaltake heat pipe
> cooler). all the fans are running. i have placed a temperature probe
> against the side of the cpu chip-its temperature varies between 34-45
> degrees C-whereas the asus temperature on board sensor indicates that
> it is 124 degrees C!!!!!!!!!
>
> before getting this error message i had been putting my computer in
> hibernation mode-though i dont think this lead to the temperature
> error.
>
> i also went into bios setup-didnt see anything out of the usual.
>
> any advice? is the over temperature error false considering the other
> temperature sensor readings? what to do? ignore it? would the computer
> shut down/SLOW way down if it really were too hot?

Would that be 124 degrees F perhaps ?

Intel processors have thermal throttling at 70C die temperature.
This slows the effective clock rate of the processor, until
the processor temperature drops below 70C. People who experience
that their CPU "only rises to 69-70C" are in fact throttling
and don't know it. I think there is a program called Throttlewatch
that can tell you when that happens.

On the newest Intel processors, if throttling does not control
the CPU temperature (say the heatsink fell off), the CPU also
has overheat protection that shuts the computer off at 90C.
(I think the docs say 20C more than the throttle temp.) Some
older processors have the trip point set at 135C, but you
aren't likely to be using one of those.

In other words, if the processor was purchased recently,
and if the silicon die was at 124C, the computer has
already shut off.

124F = 51C

Paul
From: Ian Boys on
> before getting this error message i had been putting my computer in
> hibernation mode-though i dont think this lead to the temperature
> error.

I've had the same thing coming out of standby on my ECS PF21 motherboard.
Motherboard Monitor says the CPU fan is off, although it's not, and the temp
alarm comes on. Restart fixes all this but it means I don't trust standby
anymore.

Ian Boys
DTE

From: zark on

Paul wrote:
> In article <1136506795.112213.104520(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zark"
> <etc1760(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > hello-
> > i am using the p5gd2 premium mb with intel p4 3.2 cpu.
> >
> > in the past week i have been getting "cpu over temperature" followed by
> > "press f1 to contimue"
> >
> > this occurs on boot up, and i press f1 and it continues into windows-
> > the computer works fine, i did benchmarking tests and the system runs
> > as designed. i reattached the cpu cooler (thermaltake heat pipe
> > cooler). all the fans are running. i have placed a temperature probe
> > against the side of the cpu chip-its temperature varies between 34-45
> > degrees C-whereas the asus temperature on board sensor indicates that
> > it is 124 degrees C!!!!!!!!!
> >
> > before getting this error message i had been putting my computer in
> > hibernation mode-though i dont think this lead to the temperature
> > error.
> >
> > i also went into bios setup-didnt see anything out of the usual.
> >
> > any advice? is the over temperature error false considering the other
> > temperature sensor readings? what to do? ignore it? would the computer
> > shut down/SLOW way down if it really were too hot?
>
> Would that be 124 degrees F perhaps ?
>
> Intel processors have thermal throttling at 70C die temperature.
> This slows the effective clock rate of the processor, until
> the processor temperature drops below 70C. People who experience
> that their CPU "only rises to 69-70C" are in fact throttling
> and don't know it. I think there is a program called Throttlewatch
> that can tell you when that happens.
>
> On the newest Intel processors, if throttling does not control
> the CPU temperature (say the heatsink fell off), the CPU also
> has overheat protection that shuts the computer off at 90C.
> (I think the docs say 20C more than the throttle temp.) Some
> older processors have the trip point set at 135C, but you
> aren't likely to be using one of those.
>
> In other words, if the processor was purchased recently,
> and if the silicon die was at 124C, the computer has
> already shut off.
>
> 124F = 51C
>
> Paul

according to the program "asus probe" the temperature of the cpu is
124C which is OVER 250 F !!!!!!!!! i reattached the cpu cooler a second
time, reapplying silver conductive grease. there is NO throttling or
shut down- i ran an arithmetic benchmarking test with SANDRA from
sisoftware and it came out just fine.

is there any way to reset the temperature sensor? do a diagnostic on
it? the external cpu temp sensor is now reading 40C.

should i just ignore the over temp alert? wouldnt you expect to be
smelling smoke/ hearing alarms/ dead computer if the cpu was really at
250 F???

From: Paul on
In article <1136565265.640493.7350(a)g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zark"
<etc1760(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Paul wrote:
> > In article <1136506795.112213.104520(a)g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>, "zark"
> > <etc1760(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > > hello-
> > > i am using the p5gd2 premium mb with intel p4 3.2 cpu.
> > >
> > > in the past week i have been getting "cpu over temperature" followed by
> > > "press f1 to contimue"
> > >
> > > this occurs on boot up, and i press f1 and it continues into windows-
> > > the computer works fine, i did benchmarking tests and the system runs
> > > as designed. i reattached the cpu cooler (thermaltake heat pipe
> > > cooler). all the fans are running. i have placed a temperature probe
> > > against the side of the cpu chip-its temperature varies between 34-45
> > > degrees C-whereas the asus temperature on board sensor indicates that
> > > it is 124 degrees C!!!!!!!!!
> > >
> > > before getting this error message i had been putting my computer in
> > > hibernation mode-though i dont think this lead to the temperature
> > > error.
> > >
> > > i also went into bios setup-didnt see anything out of the usual.
> > >
> > > any advice? is the over temperature error false considering the other
> > > temperature sensor readings? what to do? ignore it? would the computer
> > > shut down/SLOW way down if it really were too hot?
> >
> > Would that be 124 degrees F perhaps ?
> >
> > Intel processors have thermal throttling at 70C die temperature.
> > This slows the effective clock rate of the processor, until
> > the processor temperature drops below 70C. People who experience
> > that their CPU "only rises to 69-70C" are in fact throttling
> > and don't know it. I think there is a program called Throttlewatch
> > that can tell you when that happens.
> >
> > On the newest Intel processors, if throttling does not control
> > the CPU temperature (say the heatsink fell off), the CPU also
> > has overheat protection that shuts the computer off at 90C.
> > (I think the docs say 20C more than the throttle temp.) Some
> > older processors have the trip point set at 135C, but you
> > aren't likely to be using one of those.
> >
> > In other words, if the processor was purchased recently,
> > and if the silicon die was at 124C, the computer has
> > already shut off.
> >
> > 124F = 51C
> >
> > Paul
>
> according to the program "asus probe" the temperature of the cpu is
> 124C which is OVER 250 F !!!!!!!!! i reattached the cpu cooler a second
> time, reapplying silver conductive grease. there is NO throttling or
> shut down- i ran an arithmetic benchmarking test with SANDRA from
> sisoftware and it came out just fine.
>
> is there any way to reset the temperature sensor? do a diagnostic on
> it? the external cpu temp sensor is now reading 40C.
>
> should i just ignore the over temp alert? wouldnt you expect to be
> smelling smoke/ hearing alarms/ dead computer if the cpu was really at
> 250 F???

The CPU temperature is measured by using a diode inside the CPU
die. The monitor chip measures the voltage across the diode, and
then a conversion formula is used to convert the voltage reading
into a temperature. (Asus boards have used a thermistor in the
socket area in the past, and I don't know of a simple way to
prove which method is used on a given board. The diode method
saves Asus a few pennies, so it would be a preferred method.)

If the two pins on the CPU package, that connect the diode to the
board, are not making good contact, that could account for some
bad readings. If the monitor chip is not set up properly (set
in the wrong mode) then I suppose that could mess things up.

PDF page 31 shows how the Winbond W83627EHF chip measures
CPU die temp:

http://www.winbond-usa.com/products/winbond_products/pdfs/PCIC/W83627EHF_EHG.pdf

In that diagram, if the diode doesn't make good contact
with the circuit, the voltage at the monitor pin climbs
to Vref, and that should yield a high temperature reading
from the conversion formula. Conversely, if the diode fails
shorted, the measured temperature will be very low.

If Speedfan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) is able to
get good temperature readings from your board, then that means
the BIOS is immature. Consider doing a BIOS upgrade, if
Speedfan seems to be working properly. If Speedfan also
reports a bad value, then replacing the motherboard or
the CPU might be the only solution.

If the motherboard socket was dirty, I suppose that could do it.
You cannot touch the contacts in the LGA775 socket, or touch
the contacts on the bottom of your processor, without
contaminating them. What would be especially bad, is getting
thermal grease in the socket. (I have never read of an
approved cleaning method for the socket, so don't even think
about spraying solvents in there! For an end user, reinsertion
of the component, to allow the contacts to scrape a clean
connection, is the safest alternative.)

Good luck,
Paul