From: internaughtfull on
Hi,

I have a problem with chkdsk on XP sp3. I have never run chkdsk on it
before, and decided to do a defrag/chkdsk on it as regular
maintenance.The system has been running fine and has ATT McCafee
antivirus/spy running on it and is suposedly clean.

I selected chkdsk from disk/tool properties tab and it said to
restart.

After restarting, the bios screen shows and the XP splash screen shows
with the progress bar, then it goes blank and appears to hang.

The drive light is on as if something is running. I have run chkdsk
on my netbook with XP and it shows a blue progress screen, so I am
assuming something is wrong.

I have looked at the internet and found the following:

1. sometimes chkdsk runs with a blank screen and you have to
change a parameter 'noguiboot' in a autoexec file.

2. run a system recovery by pressing f8 during the boot process.

3. disable chkdsk somehow and then reboot.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Currently I just shut the computer off and quit rebooting until I get
some more information. I havent just let it sit on the hang screen
for that long because I thought it might overheat the drive.

Thanks,

itchy
From: relic on

"internaughtfull" <itchyneebanshee(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a problem with chkdsk on XP sp3. I have never run chkdsk on it
> before, and decided to do a defrag/chkdsk on it as regular
> maintenance.The system has been running fine and has ATT McCafee
> antivirus/spy running on it and is suposedly clean.
>
> I selected chkdsk from disk/tool properties tab and it said to
> restart.
>
> After restarting, the bios screen shows and the XP splash screen shows
> with the progress bar, then it goes blank and appears to hang.
>
> The drive light is on as if something is running. I have run chkdsk
> on my netbook with XP and it shows a blue progress screen, so I am
> assuming something is wrong.
>
> I have looked at the internet and found the following:
>
> 1. sometimes chkdsk runs with a blank screen and you have to
> change a parameter 'noguiboot' in a autoexec file.
>
> 2. run a system recovery by pressing f8 during the boot process.
>
> 3. disable chkdsk somehow and then reboot.
>
> Anyone have any experience with this problem?
>
> Currently I just shut the computer off and quit rebooting until I get
> some more information. I havent just let it sit on the hang screen
> for that long because I thought it might overheat the drive.

Start, Run, chkntfs

If you still have problems with chkdsk:
Boot from your XP CD.
Take the first Repair option to enter the Recovery Console.
Run chkdsk /p

From: Nil on
On 23 Jan 2010, internaughtfull <itchyneebanshee(a)hotmail.com> wrote
in alt.windows-xp:

> Currently I just shut the computer off and quit rebooting until I
> get some more information. I havent just let it sit on the hang
> screen for that long because I thought it might overheat the
> drive.

Sometimes CHKDSK can take a very long time - many hours, even days, to
do its job, especially if the disk is very large and/or very corrupt.
While CHKDSK is working, screen refreshing takes a low priority, which
might explain your lack of display. I think you just need to be patient
and let it run all day and all night if need be. You can also run it
from Safe Mode, which might help with the display, since you will
already have a prompt.

You should consider backing up all your valuable data - if CHKDSK does
take a long time to run, it can mean there is some severe physical
and/or logical disk corruption. CHKDSK is able to identify or correct
the corruption, but sometimes it will corrupt your files in the
process.

Pages: 1
Prev: Earths hottest day :)
Next: IE version puzzle