From: Scott Baxter on
Hello,

My application (visual studio 2008, visual basic) writes out a few files
when it runs.

On Windows 7, it fails at startup, apparently because access is denied to
write these files. It also creates databases while it runs. How do I get
around this security problem. I'm sure many programs need to write files
when they run. The files are under its own application directory.

Thanks.

Scott Baxter

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 18.05.2010 00:20, schrieb Scott Baxter:
> Hello,
>
> My application (visual studio 2008, visual basic) writes out a few files
> when it runs.
>
> On Windows 7, it fails at startup, apparently because access is denied to
> write these files. It also creates databases while it runs. How do I get
> around this security problem.

Use a directory where access is permitted.

> I'm sure many programs need to write files
> when they run. The files are under its own application directory.

Where is that directory?

--
Armin
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Hi Scott,

Looking at this enumeration gives for the most direct an idea.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.environment.specialfolder.aspx

Cor

From: Steve Thackery on

"Scott Baxter" <scott(a)websearchstore.com> wrote in message

> The files are under its own application directory.

That's the problem. Assuming you've installed the application in Program
Files, you aren't allowed to write to that area from your application.

W7 stops you, but you shouldn't be doing it anyway - look for the Windows XP
Programming Guidelines which Microsoft published back when XP first came
out.

You can write your files to various locations - typically in
Users/<user>/AppData/...

SteveT

From: Mr. Arnold on
Scott Baxter wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My application (visual studio 2008, visual basic) writes out a few
> files when it runs.
>
> On Windows 7, it fails at startup, apparently because access is denied
> to write these files. It also creates databases while it runs. How do
> I get around this security problem. I'm sure many programs need to
> write files when they run. The files are under its own application
> directory.

Program Folder is a protected folder on Win 7. You can't write program
data or files to that folder. You have ProgramData folder, a hidden
folder, that you can write to for a program's data and files.