From: mp on
I understand ms is deleting newsgroups soon. Are there plans on this group
of the main experts for an alternate group to migrate to?

From: Family Tree Mike on
On 5/17/2010 5:32 PM, mp wrote:
> I understand ms is deleting newsgroups soon. Are there plans on this group
> of the main experts for an alternate group to migrate to?

I'm no expert, but I frequent this group. For what it's worth, I've
been looking at the MSDN Forums at
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/threads. The
web interface is dreck in my opinion, but using the "Microsoft Forums
NNTP Bridge" makes it work with nntp clients pretty well.

--
Mike
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on
Mike,

Did you tweak the webinterface a little bit, you can change things in your
settings.

As it start, it is like you wrote, but setting it to threaded view makes it
much better.

However, I still miss a view, which shows me only the headers in a threaded
view, like in newsgroups.

On the other hand becomes the possibility to show only your own threads
every day better.

Cor

From: Brian Cryer on
"mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote in message
>I understand ms is deleting newsgroups soon. Are there plans on this group
>of the main experts for an alternate group to migrate to?

Since I'm not one of the main experts maybe it doesn't matter, but I'm
undecided as yet. I certainly won't be using the Microsoft forums because
I've yet to find a forum with an interface as nice as that provided using my
newsgroup reader. I'm hoping that someone will suggest an alternative
newsgroup (something like alt.windows7.general which came about because of
the lack of a suitable microsoft newsgroup).
--
Brian Cryer
http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian

From: Armin Zingler on
Am 18.05.2010 04:02, schrieb Family Tree Mike:
> I'm no expert, but I frequent this group. For what it's worth, I've
> been looking at the MSDN Forums at
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/threads. The
> web interface is dreck in my opinion, but using the "Microsoft Forums
> NNTP Bridge" makes it work with nntp clients pretty well.

Ok ok, I'm gonna make my first-time visit there today. I guess I have to.
We have to. :-( Champaaagne!

--
Armin