From: Dennis on
On Mon, 17 May 2010 16:32:47 -0500, "mp" <nospam(a)thanks.com> wrote:

>I understand ms is deleting newsgroups soon. Are there plans on this group
>of the main experts for an alternate group to migrate to?

Keep in mind that this is USENET, which is by its very design
decentralized. This means that MS can only delete these newsgroups from
its own servers and send out a control msg "requesting" that other ISPs
do likewise. Whether other ISPs honor the control msg is problematic. So
I suspect these newsgroups will linger for years.

What will the MVPs and other experts do when MS shuts down the groups on
their servers? If they are actually getting their newsgroup feed from
the MS servers, you won't see them here anymore. But if they are getting
their newsgroup feed from another ISP, they will probably stick around
for a while.

I have given the NNTP Bridge a try for the last 5-6 days. I'm not real
happy with the results and have since shut it down. When the newsgroups
dry up and I have a question that I can't find the answer to, I guess
I'll have to post on a web forum. I don't know if my first choice will
be an MS forum though.

--

Dennis
From: Nikos on
> ... but using the "Microsoft Forums
> NNTP Bridge" makes it work with nntp clients pretty well...

How can I use this bridge? Where can I download it?
From: Cor Ligthert[MVP] on

> What will the MVPs and other experts do when MS shuts down the groups on
> their servers? If they are actually getting their newsgroup feed from
> the MS servers, you won't see them here anymore. But if they are getting
> their newsgroup feed from another ISP, they will probably stick around
> for a while.

Some of those are very slow, bad and often have a very short retention time.

The only good alternative is in my idea Google, but that has as well a web
interface, which shows up even worse then the forums in threaded view.

From: Family Tree Mike on

"Nikos" wrote:

> > ... but using the "Microsoft Forums
> > NNTP Bridge" makes it work with nntp clients pretty well...
>
> How can I use this bridge? Where can I download it?
> .

Download and instructions for use are at:
https://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums?wa=wsignin1.0

Mike

From: Family Tree Mike on

"Cor Ligthert[MVP]" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Did you tweak the webinterface a little bit, you can change things in your
> settings.
>
> As it start, it is like you wrote, but setting it to threaded view makes it
> much better.
>
> However, I still miss a view, which shows me only the headers in a threaded
> view, like in newsgroups.
>
> On the other hand becomes the possibility to show only your own threads
> every day better.
>
> Cor
>
> "Family Tree Mike" <FamilyTreeMike(a)ThisOldHouse.com> wrote in message
> > On 5/17/2010 5:32 PM, mp wrote:
> >> I understand ms is deleting newsgroups soon. Are there plans on this
> >> group
> >> of the main experts for an alternate group to migrate to?
> >>

> > I'm no expert, but I frequent this group. For what it's worth, I've been
> > looking at the MSDN Forums at
> > http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vbgeneral/threads. The web
> > interface is dreck in my opinion, but using the "Microsoft Forums NNTP
> > Bridge" makes it work with nntp clients pretty well.
> >
> > --
> > Mike
>
> .

No, I didn't try the treaded view option, but will give it a go this
evening. The bridge gives me the threaded views, and lets me more easily
track the threads I care about, it seems. Maybe I'm just too much of an old
timer for the "web way"...

Mike