From: TV Woman on
starting to type in the "To" section populates a drop-down. It has been
suggested to arrow down to the address I want to delete and hit the delete
button. That removes the name until the computer is restarted for another
session. The names return. How do I permanently delete the selected names?
These names are not stored anywhere in my contacts list.
From: Shawn76 via OfficeKB.com on
You need to delete the .NK2 file

Windows Vista

If you can already see hidden files and folders...

1. Close Outlook.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Browse to C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook
4. Make sure to view the file details.
5. Delete any file that ends with “.NK2”.
6. Restart Outlook and the new NK2 file will automatically rebuild.

If you cannot see hidden files and folders...

1. Click the round Windows Start logo in the bottom left corner
2. Select Control Panel
3. Click Organize
4. Click Folder and Search Options
5. Click the View tab
6. Check Show hidden files and folders
7. Click Apply then OK

Windows XP

If you can already see hidden files and folders...

1. Close Outlook.
2. Open My Computer.
3. Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\[logged in user]\Application Data\
Microsoft\Outlook.
4. Make sure to view the file details.
5. Delete any file that ends with “.NK2”.
6. Restart Outlook and the new NK2 file will automatically rebuild.

If you cannot see hidden files and folders...

By default you will not be able to see the below directories unless you make
a couple of adjustments.

1. To view hidden folders, open My Computer
2. Tools > Folder Options
3. Click the View Tab
4. Select “Show hidden files and folders”.
5. Then UNCHECK the box that says “Hide extensions for known file types”
6. Click “Apply to ALL Folders” button hit OK. (proceed to the steps in the
previous section)