From: kupchik on
I keep all income tax related receipts for 3 years after I file the
return or 4/15 whichever is later. I do not sort them other than into
tax catagories to complete my return (waste of time) I just put them
all in an envelope with my income tax return. As mentioned above,
anything related to an asset that I still hold (house, stocks, bonds,
etc.) I keep until I dispose of that asset. For all other receipts,
(credit cards, checking, etc.) I keep for until January of the second
year, ie. I will throw out all 2004 in January of 2007 to insure that I
have receipts for my warranites.

Hope this helps.

From: kupchik on

From: Andrew DeFaria on
skdeardorff(a)sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Using Quicken 2005, on Win Xp pro.
>
> >From a practical point of view, how long should I keep receipts? Any
> IRS guidelines?
>
> In general, I'm looking for any "best practices" regarding how most
> Quicken users deal with receipts. Do most people keep them for a year,
> for example, then shred them?
>
> Related questions would be, "How long to keep ATM receipts?", and "How
> long to keep bank statements?" All of the above assume the
> transactions have been reconciled and that they are fine.
I keep receipts just long enough to get them into Pocket Quicken,
thereafter they are tossed.

Except, of course, ATM receipts with a high balance exposed on them. I
also dive into the trash there at the ATM machine. Chances that a stupid
but hot broad will call you back when you give them your number on an
ATM receipt with a high balance are high! ;-)

--

Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
Disk Full - Press F1 to belch.