From: Alex K. on
Johnny,

thank you for your response. That solution was the first that came to my
mind. But it didn't work because:

On the form, there are a lot of other controls: textboxes, combo lists,
buttons, etc.
When I disable SAVE button, input focus jumps to other control, which can be
different depending on some conditions - somtimes, it can be another button
which in turn receives keyboard events ... Things become even worse and
messier

From: Alex K. on
Peter,

thank you for your response. I tried your solution. Unfortunately, it did
not work. Yes, I can control the duration of my own modal dialog. Even
better, I can use only MouseClick event of OK button, forcing user to always
use mouse to aknowledge the confirmation, but ... If I press space bar 4
times very quickly, by the time my _first_ dialog appears on the screen,
object is already saved _twice_, as I can see in database, and in
console.debug lines. It looks like modal dialog stops the execution only
after it is drawn on the screen, while keyboard events are placed in a queue
that is separate from GUI and is moving faster.

Probably, I will ask users always use mouse when clicking on SAVE button,
and if they agree (hopefully) I'll ignore Click event and move all the SAVE
code to MouseClick event.

Thank you

From: Peter Duniho on
Alex K. wrote:
> Peter,
>
> thank you for your response. I tried your solution. Unfortunately, it did
> not work

The suggestion I offered will work to correct the problem you originally
described.

> Yes, I can control the duration of my own modal dialog. Even
> better, I can use only MouseClick event of OK button, forcing user to always
> use mouse to aknowledge the confirmation, but ... If I press space bar 4
> times very quickly, by the time my _first_ dialog appears on the screen,
> object is already saved _twice_, as I can see in database, and in
> console.debug lines.

That's a completely different issue, which you would have to solve a
completely different way. Such as, not allowing new input to save an
object until you're done processing a previous input to save an object.

I agree with Harlan's point that you seem to be trying to protect stupid
users from themselves, which is a futile goal in most cases. But the
fact is that in this particular case, there are solutions available to
you that don't involve clearing the input buffer.

> [...]
> Probably, I will ask users always use mouse when clicking on SAVE button,
> and if they agree (hopefully) I'll ignore Click event and move all the SAVE
> code to MouseClick event.

If you are trying to help the user, making your program less convenient
to use is probably not the right approach.

Pete