From: none on
Had a situation where an invalid folder was created. The folder looked like an ASCII ATL-1 symbol. This is a multiboot system ... could not delete it in XP or W2K, had to use DOS scandisk, which deleted the folder.

An invalid folder (or file) has been created on occasion before so the question is, what utility can be used to delete an invalid folder in an NT OS?

Thanks

From: none on
Brickford, I have unlocker (love it), been using it for a while. Tried to
delete with it; says operation was successful but it did NOT delete the
folder :-(

Any other utilities?
---

From: Bickford Shmeckler on
Why didn't you say so in your first post?

: Brickford, I have unlocker (love it), been using it for a while. Tried to
: delete with it; says operation was successful but it did NOT delete the
: folder :-(
:
: Any other utilities?
: ---
: "Bickford Shmeckler" <Bickford(a)Shmeckler.invalid> wrote in message
: news:hvqbin$jas$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: > Google for unlocker
: > "none" <nospam(a)bogusaddress.com> wrote in message
: > news:hvq9h2$1t3$1(a)news.eternal-september.org...
: > Had a situation where an invalid folder was created. The folder looked
: like
: > an ASCII ATL-1 symbol. This is a multiboot system ... could not delete
it
: in
: > XP or W2K, had to use DOS scandisk, which deleted the folder.
: >

From: none on

"Thee Chicago Wolf [MVP]" <.@.> wrote in message
> If unlocker deleted it and it reappeared or did not "delete", this is
> often due to virus/trojan/malware behavior. Use Process Explorer or
> some other such tool and see what locked file is hiding in that
> folder.

I'd scanned for viruses etc. but found none. Don't believe it was caused by
malware or anything like that because it was created when using XXCOPY with
a foul command line (I forgot to add double quotes for a LFN path). Thus,
the funky folder was created by XXCOPY, but because it had a character name
of ASCII 'ALT-1' nothing but a DOS utility could delete it.

So back to the original question; is there an NT utility (or scheme) out
there to delete these 'hard to delete' folders or filenames (Unlocker didn't
work)? Not everybody has DOS readily available or the knowledge of how to
use DOS utilities!

BTW, there was no indication this was a folder 'in use' or 'open' (locked);
I believe it was SOOO hard to delete because it used a lower character ASCII
(which looks like a small rectangular non-filled smiley face).