From: Bob Taylor on
Regards to All,

Win XP SP2

I have two hard drives, each partitioned. The first drive has the XP
partition (C) and a partition (E) with all my data. One partition on
my second drive (D) has backup and archive files. The others are unused.

I want to make a bootable copy of my c drive onto the first (unused)
partition of the second drive without destroying the archive and
backup partition (D).

What program can do this?

Acronis cannot do this and I have been assured that EASEUS Data
Backup & Recovery cannot do it either. (Both of these want to destroy
the whole drive)

I used to do this regularly with Win 98 using PowerQuest Partition
Magic, but this was bought by Norton and is no longer available which
is a shame because it was a very good program. I still have a copy of
the old Partition Magic, but it will not copy a XP boot partition.

Thanks for your attention to my problem,
Bob Taylor
philologos at mindspring dot com
From: Paul on
Bob Taylor wrote:
> Regards to All,
>
> Win XP SP2
>
> I have two hard drives, each partitioned. The first drive has the XP
> partition (C) and a partition (E) with all my data. One partition on my
> second drive (D) has backup and archive files. The others are unused.
>
> I want to make a bootable copy of my c drive onto the first (unused)
> partition of the second drive without destroying the archive and backup
> partition (D).
>
> What program can do this?
>
> Acronis cannot do this and I have been assured that EASEUS Data Backup
> & Recovery cannot do it either. (Both of these want to destroy the
> whole drive)
>
> I used to do this regularly with Win 98 using PowerQuest Partition
> Magic, but this was bought by Norton and is no longer available which is
> a shame because it was a very good program. I still have a copy of the
> old Partition Magic, but it will not copy a XP boot partition.
>
> Thanks for your attention to my problem,
> Bob Taylor
> philologos at mindspring dot com

There is a list here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_disk_partitioning_software

Easeus Partition Master comes in a free version. No idea what feature set.

GParted (comes with its own bootable Linux OS on CD) is also free.
I have a copy, gave it a quick test, but the program makes me
nervous, due to presenting status messages for operations that
make no sense with respect to the currently requested operation.
Like Partition Magic, it has the notion of queuing up operations
until you click an Apply button. But what bothered me, is it
was printing things on the screen as component operations, that
seemed to have nothing to do with what I wanted done. (I.e. If
you were moving a partition, you wouldn't expect to see "resizing
your partition" in the status window. That pisses me off. When
something as risky as partition meddling is being done, I don't
need surprises.)

I suppose, depending on the brand of disk drive you've got,
you could download a tool from a disk drive manufacturer. But
such a freebie, may have restrictions on what operations it
supports.

If you're going with a freebie, I recommend doing a backup
first. All partitioning tools, even Partition Magic, have
had "accidents". If you don't have backups on yet another
disk, then you're taking a risk.

I use Partition Magic 7 here, for some of these operations.
But it still has some restrictions. I think there was some
kind of size restriction I ran into, along the way. And
when I had PM7 make an EXT2 partition for me, it formatted
it in less than an optimal way. When I tried to create a
large file (a lot bigger than 4GB) on my new EXT2 partition,
the operation failed due to the way PM7 had prepared the
partition. Using the appropriate Linux tool to format it,
fixed it. So PM7 still has rough edges, but if I need to do
resizing or moving, I still trust it to not screw up.

I also has the odd issue with the MBR, like PM7 complains
about what some other tool has done to the MBR. And on
one occasion, it stored the partition entries in non-ascending
order in the MBR. Meaning, the third partition entry in the
MBR contained the second partition, and the second partition
entry carried the third partition. This doesn't hurt anything,
except your brain when looking at things like Disk Management,
and trying to figure out what is what :-)

Paul
From: smlunatick on
On Jun 22, 2:14 pm, Bob Taylor <nos...(a)nospam.com> wrote:
> Regards to All,
>
> Win XP SP2
>
> I have two hard drives, each partitioned.  The first drive has the XP
> partition (C) and a partition (E) with all my data.  One partition on
> my second drive (D) has backup and archive files.  The others are unused.
>
> I want to make a bootable copy of my c drive onto the first (unused)
> partition of the second drive without destroying the archive and
> backup partition (D).
>
> What program can do this?
>
> Acronis cannot do this and I have been assured that  EASEUS Data
> Backup & Recovery cannot do it either.  (Both of these want to destroy
> the whole drive)
>
> I used to do this regularly with Win 98 using PowerQuest Partition
> Magic, but this was bought by Norton and is no longer available which
> is a shame because it was a very good program.  I still have a copy of
> the old Partition Magic, but it will not copy a XP boot partition.
>
> Thanks for your attention to my problem,
> Bob Taylor
> philologos at mindspring dot com

Partition Magic was the reference tool on partition cloning. PM7 was
very nice in a "text console" style. PM8 was a great improvement with
the GUI screens. However, the action queueing was very "nerve
racking" since all actions were then processed in a pre-boot
environment.
From: Bob Taylor on
Paul wrote:

> Easeus Partition Master comes in a free version. No idea what feature set.

As I mentioned, this will not creat a bootable partition. I have been
assured by the support people that they cannot guarantee the copy will
be bootable.

One can google and finds dozens, maybe hundreds, of programs which
will copy disks, but which one will do what I want, make a bootable xp
partition without reformating the entire target disk?

I came to this newsgroup hoping you would know what google doesn't.

> If you're going with a freebie, I recommend doing a backup
> first. All partitioning tools, even Partition Magic, have

Pardon me! A bootable copy IS a backup. That's the point.

> I use Partition Magic 7 here, for some of these operations.
As I mentioned, Partition Magic is no longer available. Again, I have
been so assured by support personel. I had the option of buying a
newer version of Partition Magic a few years ago and I much regret not
doing so.

Thanks for your input.

Bob Taylor
From: dadiOH on
Bob Taylor wrote:
> Paul wrote:
>>
>> Easeus Partition Master comes in a free version. No idea what
>> feature set.
> As I mentioned, this will not creat a bootable partition. I have been
> assured by the support people that they cannot guarantee the copy will
> be bootable.
>
> One can google and finds dozens, maybe hundreds, of programs which
> will copy disks, but which one will do what I want, make a bootable xp
> partition without reformating the entire target disk?

The simplest thing is to just install another (minimal) XP to the partition.
Doing so will create a boot menu from which you can boot should the
need/desire arise. To avoid confusion, you could rename the new XP install
to something like "XP - Basic" in the boot menu.

Alterntively, you can copy the existing XP and make a bootable CD.

You might also want to check out Paragon Hard Drive Manager, it will clone
one HD or partition to another. The same is true of the programs
distributed along with HDs by manufacturers.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/features.html

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...