From: bobster on
Bob,

You said,

"I don't see how it is me making things difficult. What I want to do
seems very simple."

Yeah, on second thought you're probably right. I have had such good luck
with the configuration I described that it seems simple to me but maybe not
to everyone. Also, I tend to forget that $100 is a lot of money for some
folks.

One way to avoid going the external route is to use the 2nd internal HD slot
as the clone "target" of the "C" drive. This gives you a very quick,
internal recovery from a "C" drive failure or catastrophic "crash" as it
contains everything -- your OS, all of your apps, and your personal files
and settings. The secret is to have a very reliable clone app and a SATA
capable computer.

I am not an MVP nor even a techie wannabe but I have played around with
versions of Acronis and Ghost and much prefer the simplicity of cloning with
a dedicated clone app. Nothing beats having a "hot spare" (internally or
externally) at the ready in case of problems, especially when that spare can
act as a safe backup as well as provide a disaster recovery function.

The disadvantage of most clone apps is that they don't do individual
partition backup nor "imaging". Both Acronis and Ghost can do cloning but
IMHO it is very klutzy and time-consuming compared to a dedicated cloner.
As I stated in my earlier post, I have had good luck with Casper6.0 -- very
fast and utterly reliable. And no, I have no affiliation with them.

Good luck, Bob. It appears that there are several ways to solve your
"simple" problem

"Bob Taylor" <nospam(a)nospam.com> wrote in message
bobster wrote:
> Bob,
>
> Maybe I'm missing something here but it looks like you are making a fairly
> simple problem way too difficult. You definitely can boot from an
> externally mounted HD.
What you are missing is that I was told this and have actually tried
it, but perhaps you know a way around. If you plug a usb hard drive
in and reboot, it does not see the drive until XP has loaded. Too
late to boot it.

Love to know how to get around that.

I don't see how it is me making things difficult. What I want to do
seems very simple.

Regards, Bob Taylor

From: mm on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:00:24 -0700, "bobster" <fauxie(a)bogus.net>
wrote:

>I am not an MVP nor even a techie wannabe

Well I know far less than any of you, but I got the impression that an
array of two SATA drives, set to keep one identical to the other, is
done in order to have an always present backup.

A friend gave me a mobo and two SATA drives, but I havent' yet
assembled a computer around it.

If I eventually do, won't I have my HD backup, like the OP wants?
From: mm on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 10:42:01 -0400, Bob Taylor <nospam(a)nospam.com>
wrote:

>Paul wrote:
>>
>> Easeus Partition Master comes in a free version. No idea what feature set.
>>
>As I mentioned, this will not creat a bootable partition. I have been
>assured by the support people that they cannot guarantee the copy will
>be bootable.

I could assure you that I cannot guarantee that it will be bootable.

I don't see why that is so important.

They don't want to guarantee something. Lots of people are afraid to
offer a guarantee, because people will complain if it doesn't work.

So try it and see if it works, and if it does, it won't matter what
someone is unwilling to guarantee.

BTW, no one here is going to give you a guarantee either.

From: Paul on
Daave wrote:
> Inline.
>
> Bob Taylor wrote:
>> bobster wrote:
>>> Bob,
>>>
>>> Maybe I'm missing something here but it looks like you are making a
>>> fairly simple problem way too difficult. You definitely can boot
>>> from an externally mounted HD.
>
> bobster, often this is not the case!!!
>
>> What you are missing is that I was told this and have actually tried
>> it, but perhaps you know a way around. If you plug a usb hard drive
>> in and reboot, it does not see the drive until XP has loaded. Too
>> late to boot it.
>>
>> Love to know how to get around that.
>
> Bob:
>
> People have had mixed success with making ordinary USB external hard
> drives bootable (it's rarely recommended). The motherboard and BIOS must
> support the method and you would need to configure the BIOS correctly.
>
> The easiest way to do this is to use an eSATA hard drive (of course the
> motherboard must support eSATA).
>
> How about telling us about your hardware?

I have a bookmark here, to a suggested procedure.

http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

The main benefit of that article, is it gives some
search terms to use, to find other examples.

winxp BootBusExtenders

HTH,
Paul
From: bobster on
Yes, you will have the major elements to have a "hot spare" backup by having
the 2 SATA drives installed in internal HD positions 1 and 2. Drive 2 must
be at least as large as drive 1 and be properly formatted. Then all you
have to do is clone your position 1 "C" drive to your position 2 drive using
a good clone app of which there are several - some even freeware. I know
that this results in a bootable hot spare because I have been using this
configuration for about 2 years, as well as an externally SATA drive mounted
in a VanTec enclosure which is also bootable. I have also tried connecting
this externally mounted HD via a USB2 connection and it was bootable also.
I prefer to use the SATA3 connection as it seems faster.

Again, there are many ways to have a bootable backup but if you already have
a proper MOBO and two SATA drives, and get a good clone app, IMHO, nothing
could be simpler.