From: surferdude2 on

Bob Taylor;1223943 Wrote:
> Regards to All,
>
> Win XP SP2
>
> I have two hard drives, each partitioned. The first drive has the XP
> partition (C) and a partition (E) with all my data. One partition on
> my second drive (D) has backup and archive files. The others are
> unused.
>
> I want to make a bootable copy of my c drive onto the first (unused)
> partition of the second drive without destroying the archive and
> backup partition (D).
>
> What program can do this?
>
> Acronis cannot do this and I have been assured that EASEUS Data
> Backup & Recovery cannot do it either. (Both of these want to destroy
>
> the whole drive)
>
> I used to do this regularly with Win 98 using PowerQuest Partition
> Magic, but this was bought by Norton and is no longer available which
> is a shame because it was a very good program. I still have a copy of
>
> the old Partition Magic, but it will not copy a XP boot partition.
>
> Thanks for your attention to my problem,
> Bob Taylor
> philologos at mindspring dot com

I use http://www.xxclone.com/ for that and it has never failed me. It
has several other nice features as well.

From: Bob Taylor on
dadiOH wrote:
> Bob Taylor wrote:
>> Paul wrote:
>>> Easeus Partition Master comes in a free version. No idea what
>>> feature set.
>> As I mentioned, this will not creat a bootable partition. I have been
>> assured by the support people that they cannot guarantee the copy will
>> be bootable.
>>
>> One can google and finds dozens, maybe hundreds, of programs which
>> will copy disks, but which one will do what I want, make a bootable xp
>> partition without reformating the entire target disk?
>
> The simplest thing is to just install another (minimal) XP to the partition.
> Doing so will create a boot menu from which you can boot should the
> need/desire arise. To avoid confusion, you could rename the new XP install
> to something like "XP - Basic" in the boot menu.
>
> Alterntively, you can copy the existing XP and make a bootable CD.
>
> You might also want to check out Paragon Hard Drive Manager, it will clone
> one HD or partition to another. The same is true of the programs
> distributed along with HDs by manufacturers.
> http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/features.html

I have been looking at their web page and it seems one of their
products may do the job. They also claim to boot from external usb
drives and to be able to boot on different hardware, which could be
extremely handy.

Can you recommend this vendor?

Regards,

From: dadiOH on
Bob Taylor wrote:

>> You might also want to check out Paragon Hard Drive Manager, it will
>> clone one HD or partition to another. The same is true of the
>> programs distributed along with HDs by manufacturers.
>> http://www.paragon-software.com/home/hdm-personal/features.html
>>

> I have been looking at their web page and it seems one of their
> products may do the job. They also claim to boot from external usb
> drives and to be able to boot on different hardware, which could be
> extremely handy.
>
> Can you recommend this vendor?

Well, I can. That's why I mentioned them. Long ago I had Partition Magic
AND TrueImage...needed both because neither did everything (at the time). I
dumped both and went with Paragon. It did everything and I saved a bunch of
HD space.

No comment re the USB and different hardware, never had the need for either.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

From: Daave on
Paul wrote:
> I have a bookmark here, to a suggested procedure.
>
> http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176
>
> The main benefit of that article, is it gives some
> search terms to use, to find other examples.
>
> winxp BootBusExtenders

The page is down. This one should work:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080625022818/http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 23:58:20 -0400, mm <NOPSAMmm2005(a)bigfoot.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 14:00:24 -0700, "bobster" <fauxie(a)bogus.net>
> wrote:
>

> >I am not an MVP nor even a techie wannabe
>
> Well I know far less than any of you, but I got the impression that an
> array of two SATA drives, set to keep one identical to the other, is
> done in order to have an always present backup.
>
> A friend gave me a mobo and two SATA drives, but I havent' yet
> assembled a computer around it.
>
> If I eventually do, won't I have my HD backup, like the OP wants?

What you are planning on doing is the weakest form of backup there is.
I don't recommend backup to a second non-removable hard drive because
it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and
backup to many of the most common dangers: severe power glitches,
nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer.

In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media, and not kept
in the computer. For really secure backup (needed, for example, if the
life of your business depends on your data) you should have multiple
generations of backup, and at least one of those generations should be
stored off-site.

Please Reply to the Newsgroup