From: coltrane on
On 6/13/2010 4:33 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> coltrane wrote:
>
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>>> <ul>
>>> <li>something
>>> <ul>
>>> <li>something</li>
>>> </ul>
>>> </li>
>>> </ul>
>>> Is correct
>>>
>>> ul {list-style-type: bullet;}
>>> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}
>>
>> what you describes works. I thought that the inner<ul> should be nested
>> in line items:
>>
>> <ul>
>> <li>something</li>
>> <li>
>> <ul>
>> <li>something else<\li>
> ^^^^^
>> </ul>
>> </li>
>> </ul>
>>
>> now this definitely doesn't work.
>
> It would have worked had you used the correct end tag. Adrienne's
> suggestion is not that different from your code; however, it is more
> semantic. I strongly suggest that you indent and validate your code:
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/>
>
>> Your solution does work. I guess go with what works.
>
> You should *learn* how to do a thing properly, thus *know* *why* something
> works, and should _not_ rely on guesses.
>

> PointedEars
I just threw something together quickly for the post. It is not the code
I would use.
From: coltrane on
On 6/13/2010 4:36 PM, Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
> coltrane wrote:
>
>> I thought that the inner <ul> should be
>> nested in line items:
>
> It _is_ nested there in the markup you quoted.
>
>> <li>something else<\li>
>
> That, in turn, is incorrect. Do you see the problem with "\" vs. the
> correct "/"?

Yes I see that. It was a typo in the post. I didn't have that in my page.
From: coltrane on
On 6/13/2010 4:33 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> coltrane wrote:
>
>> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>>> <ul>
>>> <li>something
>>> <ul>
>>> <li>something</li>
>>> </ul>
>>> </li>
>>> </ul>
>>> Is correct
>>>
>>> ul {list-style-type: bullet;}
>>> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}
>>
>> what you describes works. I thought that the inner<ul> should be nested
>> in line items:
>>
>> <ul>
>> <li>something</li>
>> <li>
>> <ul>
>> <li>something else<\li>
> ^^^^^
>> </ul>
>> </li>
>> </ul>
>>
>> now this definitely doesn't work.
>
> It would have worked had you used the correct end tag. Adrienne's
> suggestion is not that different from your code; however, it is more
> semantic. I strongly suggest that you indent and validate your code:
>
> <http://validator.w3.org/>
>
>> Your solution does work. I guess go with what works.
>
> You should *learn* how to do a thing properly, thus *know* *why* something
> works, and should _not_ rely on guesses.
>

> PointedEars

using:
ul {list-style-type:circle}
ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}

<ul>
<li>Item one</li>
<li>
<ul>
<li>Sub Item One</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Item two</li>
<li>Item three</li>
</ul>

This does not work and from the little, very little, I know it should.
Sorry about the typo and the formatting. I have seemed to have offended
many. As for knowing why something works, that is why I am posting this
question. I am just starting, page one, to learn CSS.

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
coltrane wrote:

> using:
> ul {list-style-type:circle}
> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}

> <ul>
> <li>Item one</li>
> <li>
> <ul>
> <li>Sub Item One</li>
> </ul>
> </li>
> <li>Item two</li>
> <li>Item three</li>
> </ul>
>
> This does not work

"Does not work" is a useless error description. It works for me with
several user agents (even though it is not semantical¹). BTW, you can lose
the `li' in the selector; in Valid (X)HTML markup, a UL/ul element must have
at least one child LI/li element, so that is implied.

¹ A semantical nested list as for a menu would be

<ul>
<li>Item one
<ul>
<li>Sub Item One</li>
</ul>
</li>
<li>Item two</li>
<li>Item three</li>
</ul>

as Adrienne already indicated.

> and from the little, very little, I know it should.

And it does, if these code blocks are part of Valid markup. The parent
`div' element is superfluous, BTW.

> Sorry about the typo and the formatting.

ACK(nowledged)

> I have seemed to have offended many.

Well, at least not me. Do not confuse being corrected by people with having
offended people. The reverse is true: If people actually took the(ir free)
time to correct you and give you hints how to do better, you showed some
promise :)

> As for knowing why something works, that is why I am posting this
> question. I am just starting, page one, to learn CSS.

Perhaps you should start with simpler things, and get to the CSS cascade
later.

PointedEars
-- Richard Cornford, cljs, <f806at$ail$1$8300dec7(a)news.demon.co.uk>
From: dorayme on
In article <4c156ea1$0$22551$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>,
coltrane <tendengarci(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have seemed to have offended
> many.

Why would you think this? Perhaps there are posts I am not seeing.

--
dorayme