From: coltrane on
On 6/13/2010 9:16 PM, Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> coltrane wrote:
>
>> using:
>> ul {list-style-type:circle}
>> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}

>> <ul>
>> <li>Item one</li>
>> <li>
>> <ul>
>> <li>Sub Item One</li>
>> </ul>
>> </li>
>> <li>Item two</li>
>> <li>Item three</li>
>> </ul>
>>
>> This does not work
>
> "Does not work" is a useless error description. It works for me with
> several user agents (even though it is not semantical¹). BTW, you can lose
> the `li' in the selector; in Valid (X)HTML markup, a UL/ul element must have
> at least one child LI/li element, so that is implied.
>
> ¹ A semantical nested list as for a menu would be
>
> <ul>
> <li>Item one
> <ul>
> <li>Sub Item One</li>
> </ul>
> </li>
> <li>Item two</li>
> <li>Item three</li>
> </ul>
>
> as Adrienne already indicated.
>
>> and from the little, very little, I know it should.
>
> And it does, if these code blocks are part of Valid markup. The parent
> `div' element is superfluous, BTW.
>
>> Sorry about the typo and the formatting.
>
> ACK(nowledged)
>
>> I have seemed to have offended many.
>
> Well, at least not me. Do not confuse being corrected by people with having
> offended people. The reverse is true: If people actually took the(ir free)
> time to correct you and give you hints how to do better, you showed some
> promise :)
>
> <http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>
>
>> As for knowing why something works, that is why I am posting this
>> question. I am just starting, page one, to learn CSS.
>
> Perhaps you should start with simpler things, and get to the CSS cascade
> later.
>

> PointedEars
now I get it, hit head with hand!
thanks for the help
From: coltrane on
On 6/13/2010 1:32 PM, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> Gazing into my crystal ball I observed coltrane<tendengarci(a)yahoo.com>
> writing in news:4c150e7e$0$31262$607ed4bc(a)cv.net:
>
>> How can I create nested lists with each level having different
>> list-style-types. I tried to use different classes for each<ul> but
>> then I get multiple list icons on the line for each nested list item.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> john
>>

> A url would be helpful. Make sure that you are not closing your li's,
> eg:
>
> <ul>
> <li>something</li>
> <ul>
> <li>something</li>
> </ul>
> </ul>
> Is wrong
>
> <ul>
> <li>something
> <ul>
> <li>something</li>
> </ul>
> </li>
> </ul>
> Is correct
>
> ul {list-style-type: bullet;}
> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}

much thanks, I now see the error of my ways
From: Bwig Zomberi on
coltrane wrote:
> How can I create nested lists with each level having different
> list-style-types. I tried to use different classes for each <ul> but
> then I get multiple list icons on the line for each nested list item.

Here is what I use in my style sheet.

ol { list-style-type: decimal; }
ol ol { list-style-type: lower-alpha; }
ol ol ol { list-style-type: lower-roman; }
ol ol ol ol { list-style-type: upper-alpha; }
ol ol ol ol ol { list-style-type: upper-roman; }

http://www.vsubhash.com/article.asp?id=61&info=Moral_Volcano's_Universal_CSS_Font_Stack

--
Bwig Zomberi