From: coltrane on
How can I create nested lists with each level having different
list-style-types. I tried to use different classes for each <ul> but
then I get multiple list icons on the line for each nested list item.

thanks

john
From: coltrane on
On 6/13/2010 1:32 PM, Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> <ul>
> <li>something
> <ul>
> <li>something</li>
> </ul>
> </li>
> </ul>
> Is correct
>
> ul {list-style-type: bullet;}
> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}

what you describes works. I thought that the inner <ul> should be nested
in line items:

<ul>
<li>something</li>
<li>
<ul>
<li>something else<\li>
</ul>
</li>
</ul>

now this definitely doesn't work. Your solution does work. I guess go
with what works.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
coltrane wrote:

> Adrienne Boswell wrote:
>> <ul>
>> <li>something
>> <ul>
>> <li>something</li>
>> </ul>
>> </li>
>> </ul>
>> Is correct
>>
>> ul {list-style-type: bullet;}
>> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}
>
> what you describes works. I thought that the inner <ul> should be nested
> in line items:
>
> <ul>
> <li>something</li>
> <li>
> <ul>
> <li>something else<\li>
^^^^^
> </ul>
> </li>
> </ul>
>
> now this definitely doesn't work.

It would have worked had you used the correct end tag. Adrienne's
suggestion is not that different from your code; however, it is more
semantic. I strongly suggest that you indent and validate your code:

<http://validator.w3.org/>

> Your solution does work. I guess go with what works.

You should *learn* how to do a thing properly, thus *know* *why* something
works, and should _not_ rely on guesses.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: Jukka K. Korpela on
coltrane wrote:

> I thought that the inner <ul> should be
> nested in line items:

It _is_ nested there in the markup you quoted.

> <li>something else<\li>

That, in turn, is incorrect. Do you see the problem with "\" vs. the correct
"/"?

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

From: dorayme on
In article <3794144.T8p0MMh6RI(a)PointedEars.de>,
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn <PointedEars(a)web.de> wrote:

> coltrane wrote:
>
> > Adrienne Boswell wrote:
> >> <ul>
> >> <li>something
> >> <ul>
> >> <li>something</li>
> >> </ul>
> >> </li>
> >> </ul>
> >> Is correct
> >>
> >> ul {list-style-type: bullet;}
> >> ul li ul {list-style-type: square;}
> >
> > what you describes works. I thought that the inner <ul> should be nested
> > in line items:
> >
> > <ul>
> > <li>something</li>
> > <li>
> > <ul>
> > <li>something else<\li>
> ^^^^^
> > </ul>
> > </li>
> > </ul>
> >
> > now this definitely doesn't work.
>
> It would have worked had you used the correct end tag.

You mean it would have validated. That is different to worked.
Worked means carrying out an intention and to see intentions you
have to be sort of human.

> Adrienne's
> suggestion is not that different from your code;

You mean like if someone changed the smile on the Mona Lisa to a
slightly sarcastic set of lips?

> however, it is more
> semantic.

Semantic shemantic! Degrees of semanticity are hardly appropriate
here, Adrienne's is correct and OP's, even with slash correction,
is incorrect, it is not less sensible except in the sense of
making no real sense at all.

You going all post-modernish in your old age Lahn?

> > Your solution does work. I guess go with what works.
>
> You should *learn* how to do a thing properly, thus *know* *why* something
> works, and should _not_ rely on guesses.

Yes, humans should be like little gods, where do they think they
all are, at a horse race track?

--
dorayme