From: ck on
We had a switch go bad so we rerouted the cabling to a new switch. We
now have one G5 which will not do http. ftp works, email works, file
shares are ok, but neither safari nor firefox will load pages. I
manually set the dns servers and I've tried DHCP with no luck. I can
ping yahoo.com, and I can get the configuration page for the router.
Everything has been reset serveral time, no luck.

I'm stumped. Any Ideas?
From: Jolly Roger on
In article
<9fcd3165-a6e0-42a8-b8cd-3e5ae900f3d6(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
ck <ckusmierz(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> We had a switch go bad so we rerouted the cabling to a new switch. We
> now have one G5 which will not do http. ftp works, email works, file
> shares are ok, but neither safari nor firefox will load pages. I
> manually set the dns servers and I've tried DHCP with no luck. I can
> ping yahoo.com, and I can get the configuration page for the router.
> Everything has been reset serveral time, no luck.
>
> I'm stumped. Any Ideas?

You may want to ask in comp.sys.mac.system since it's a system issue not
related to a particular application.

People reading this are probably expecting to help out with specific
applications - hence the name comp.sys.mac.apps.

JR
From: Barry Margolin on
In article
<9fcd3165-a6e0-42a8-b8cd-3e5ae900f3d6(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
ck <ckusmierz(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> We had a switch go bad so we rerouted the cabling to a new switch. We
> now have one G5 which will not do http. ftp works, email works, file
> shares are ok, but neither safari nor firefox will load pages. I
> manually set the dns servers and I've tried DHCP with no luck. I can
> ping yahoo.com, and I can get the configuration page for the router.
> Everything has been reset serveral time, no luck.
>
> I'm stumped. Any Ideas?

If the problem is with a specific protocol, that suggests some kind of
firewall problem. If there were problems with DNS, DHCP, or
connectivity in general it would affect all protocols, not just HTTP.

What about HTTPS, does that work?

--
Barry Margolin, barmar(a)alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: ck on
On Jun 7, 11:00 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...(a)alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <9fcd3165-a6e0-42a8-b8cd-3e5ae900f...(a)j8g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  ck <ckusmi...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > We had a switch go bad so we rerouted the cabling to a new switch. We
> > now have one G5 which will not do http. ftp works, email works, file
> > shares are ok, but neither safari nor firefox will load pages. I
> > manually set the dns servers and I've tried DHCP with no luck. I can
> > ping yahoo.com, and I can get the configuration page for the router.
> > Everything has been reset serveral time, no luck.
>
> > I'm stumped. Any Ideas?
>
> If the problem is with a specific protocol, that suggests some kind of
> firewall problem.  If there were problems with DNS, DHCP, or
> connectivity in general it would affect all protocols, not just HTTP.
>
> What about HTTPS, does that work?
>
> --
> Barry Margolin, bar...(a)alum.mit.edu
> Arlington, MA

Problem solved.

When we increased the IP range for the DHCP we went into what was once
static territory. The router was set to block the particular IP
address as it was once assigned to a machine on the plant floor which
was denied HTTP port 80. The numbers were reassigned but the firewall
was never cleared.

Pages: 1
Prev: Popup stopper for Firefox
Next: Safari 5.0