From: Jim on
Anyone got one of these? Any good?

I'll be away for a week on holiday and now have no laptop to sync my
camera with. Does the iPad kit take in the full images from the camera
of does it render then down to a more iPad-friendly form?

I'm hoping the former, as the latter would make the kit pretty useless.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Woody on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> Anyone got one of these? Any good?

Yes, and yes.

> I'll be away for a week on holiday and now have no laptop to sync my
> camera with. Does the iPad kit take in the full images from the camera
> of does it render then down to a more iPad-friendly form?

It takes full images from the camera, to the point whe it is now causing
me a problem as one of my cameras is a 40d shooting in 10mp canon raw
files. As a result, 3/4 of my iPad is taken up with photos.

You get the USB one and the sd one. The USB connects to both of my
cameras fine (a canon and a Fuji, one is disk mode the other is USB
mode) and also reads the sd card from both the small camera and my video
camera.

> I'm hoping the former, as the latter would make the kit pretty
> useless.

It would. Well, not useless but certainly not as useful

--
Woody
From: James Dore on
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:56:00 +0100, Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> Anyone got one of these? Any good?
>
> I'll be away for a week on holiday and now have no laptop to sync my
> camera with. Does the iPad kit take in the full images from the camera
> of does it render then down to a more iPad-friendly form?
>
> I'm hoping the former, as the latter would make the kit pretty useless..
>
> Jim

They seemed to be rather large, I don't think they were rendered down.
IIRC, they certainly came back to iPhoto/Aperture in a good size (the only
way of getting them off once you've dumped them in from the camera).

I /think/ you need to shoot in JPEG, as it won't do camera raw data (too
many types to convert from).

It should, however, be renamed the iPad USB Host Adapter kit, since you
can plug much else besides a digital camera into the USB dongle. Keyboards
and mice certainly, I need to try the USB serial adapter (which would be
++awesome for switch admin) and a USB ethernet adapter (cf. MacBook Air)
which would also assist.

well worth the £26 anyway.

Cheers,
James

From: Jim on
On 2010-08-11, Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>> Anyone got one of these? Any good?
>
> Yes, and yes.
>
>> I'll be away for a week on holiday and now have no laptop to sync my
>> camera with. Does the iPad kit take in the full images from the camera
>> of does it render then down to a more iPad-friendly form?
>

> It takes full images from the camera, to the point whe it is now causing
> me a problem as one of my cameras is a 40d shooting in 10mp canon raw
> files. As a result, 3/4 of my iPad is taken up with photos.
>
> You get the USB one and the sd one. The USB connects to both of my
> cameras fine (a canon and a Fuji, one is disk mode the other is USB
> mode) and also reads the sd card from both the small camera and my video
> camera.
>
>> I'm hoping the former, as the latter would make the kit pretty
>> useless.
>
> It would. Well, not useless but certainly not as useful

Great news. Thanks.

Jim

From: Jim on
On 2010-08-11, James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Aug 2010 10:56:00 +0100, Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone got one of these? Any good?
>>
>> I'll be away for a week on holiday and now have no laptop to sync my
>> camera with. Does the iPad kit take in the full images from the camera
>> of does it render then down to a more iPad-friendly form?
>>
>> I'm hoping the former, as the latter would make the kit pretty useless.
>>
>> Jim
>
> They seemed to be rather large, I don't think they were rendered down.
> IIRC, they certainly came back to iPhoto/Aperture in a good size (the only
> way of getting them off once you've dumped them in from the camera).
>
> I /think/ you need to shoot in JPEG, as it won't do camera raw data (too
> many types to convert from).
>
> It should, however, be renamed the iPad USB Host Adapter kit, since you
> can plug much else besides a digital camera into the USB dongle. Keyboards
> and mice certainly, I need to try the USB serial adapter (which would be
> ++awesome for switch admin) and a USB ethernet adapter (cf. MacBook Air)
> which would also assist.
>
> well worth the �26 anyway.

Good to know, thanks.

Jim