From: Andy Hewitt on
Having now just installed Safari 5.0.1, and had a play with some of the
new extensions, I found one that does a page validation with the W3C
service.

If anyone remembers, we had a thread running about the quality of code
from iWeb, and possible alternative web page editors, along with the
pitfalls of migrating an existing site.

Well, I think this has found my definitive answer. No need!

Running a W3C validation on the pages in the site gives me 100% valid
HTML and CSS code, and valid RSS with a few minor warnings.

It appears that with a little working of the settings the pages that
iWeb produces can be got very near to valid standard code.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-28 16:19:24 +0100, Andy Hewitt said:

> Having now just installed Safari 5.0.1, and had a play with some of the
> new extensions, I found one that does a page validation with the W3C
> service.
>
> If anyone remembers, we had a thread running about the quality of code
> from iWeb, and possible alternative web page editors, along with the
> pitfalls of migrating an existing site.
>
> Well, I think this has found my definitive answer. No need!
>
> Running a W3C validation on the pages in the site gives me 100% valid
> HTML and CSS code, and valid RSS with a few minor warnings.
>
> It appears that with a little working of the settings the pages that
> iWeb produces can be got very near to valid standard code.

100% standard doesn't make the page useful. You could have (and I think
iWeb likes doing this) the whole page as one image, and as long as
that's inserted into the HTML properly, perfectly standard!

You might also want to check the page for its accessibility, which will
tell you how much real text there is on the page, and whether it is
organized in a way useful for screen readers. W3C's WAI (web
accessibility initiative) might be a good place to start. They might
have some online tools.

--
Chris

From: Andy Hewitt on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-28 16:19:24 +0100, Andy Hewitt said:
>
> > Having now just installed Safari 5.0.1, and had a play with some of the
> > new extensions, I found one that does a page validation with the W3C
> > service.
> >
> > If anyone remembers, we had a thread running about the quality of code
> > from iWeb, and possible alternative web page editors, along with the
> > pitfalls of migrating an existing site.
> >
> > Well, I think this has found my definitive answer. No need!
> >
> > Running a W3C validation on the pages in the site gives me 100% valid
> > HTML and CSS code, and valid RSS with a few minor warnings.
> >
> > It appears that with a little working of the settings the pages that
> > iWeb produces can be got very near to valid standard code.
>
> 100% standard doesn't make the page useful. You could have (and I think
> iWeb likes doing this) the whole page as one image, and as long as
> that's inserted into the HTML properly, perfectly standard!

Not anymore it doesn't, that was only in V1 IIRC, but it got updated and
now inserts proper text boxes and images. It only inserts text as a
graphic if you apply such things as shadows, and even then it only
applies to that text box.

> You might also want to check the page for its accessibility, which will
> tell you how much real text there is on the page, and whether it is
> organized in a way useful for screen readers. W3C's WAI (web
> accessibility initiative) might be a good place to start. They might
> have some online tools.

No need, iWeb displays markers on objects during editing to tell you
which ones are being converted to graphical objects.