From: Andy Hewitt on
Quite a few fixes, and a load of extensions available (or did I miss
that before?)

Seems OK so far.

--
Andy Hewitt
<http://web.me.com/andrewhewitt1/>
From: Chris Ridd on
On 2010-07-28 16:19:25 +0100, Andy Hewitt said:

> Quite a few fixes, and a load of extensions available (or did I miss
> that before?)

The extensions were there before, but not enabled by default and IME
they'd often make Safari 5.0 crash.

> Seems OK so far.

Much less crashy now, using AdBlock. There's a nice gallery at
<http://extensions.apple.com/> which automatically marks the ones
you've already got installed. Rather thrilling!
--
Chris

From: Andy Hewitt on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-28 16:19:25 +0100, Andy Hewitt said:
>
> > Quite a few fixes, and a load of extensions available (or did I miss
> > that before?)
>
> The extensions were there before, but not enabled by default and IME
> they'd often make Safari 5.0 crash.

Ah, I see.

> > Seems OK so far.
>
> Much less crashy now, using AdBlock. There's a nice gallery at
> <http://extensions.apple.com/> which automatically marks the ones
> you've already got installed. Rather thrilling!

Yes, I installed a few, in a moment of rashness, but they seem to be
playing nicely so far. I turned off the Twitter toolbar almost
immediately though - that's one of the things I hate about Firefox (or
indeed IE on Windows), is all the toolbars that can accumulate.

From: Pd on
Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:

> one of the things I hate about Firefox (or indeed IE on Windows), is all
> the toolbars that can accumulate.

I was staying at a friend's place last weekend, and had occasion to use
their Windows laptop. Their Firefox has about three inches of usable
window at the bottom, the top two thirds was all toolbars. She said she
didn't know how to get rid of them. It took all of a second to find the
toolbars menu and remove all but the only useful one.

--
Pd
From: Jaimie Vandenbergh on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:39:07 +0100, peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid (Pd)
wrote:

>Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:
>
>> one of the things I hate about Firefox (or indeed IE on Windows), is all
>> the toolbars that can accumulate.
>
>I was staying at a friend's place last weekend, and had occasion to use
>their Windows laptop. Their Firefox has about three inches of usable
>window at the bottom, the top two thirds was all toolbars. She said she
>didn't know how to get rid of them. It took all of a second to find the
>toolbars menu and remove all but the only useful one.

You don't even need to hunt up the menu - just right click between
icons on any menu*, and you get the list of untickable toolbars.

Lots of people just don't ever go to that level of investigation.

Cheers - Jaimie

* Except between things in the bookmarks toolbar, annoyingly.
--
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament],
'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will