From: James Dore on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:58:42 +0100, Tim Streater
<timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:

> In article <1jmcx80.1loodxumign5cN%peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid>,
> peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote:
>
>> Andy Hewitt <thewildrover(a)me.com> wrote:
>> > one of the things I hate about Firefox (or indeed IE on Windows), is
>> all
>> > the toolbars that can accumulate.
>> I was staying at a friend's place last weekend, and had occasion to use
>> their Windows laptop. Their Firefox has about three inches of usable
>> window at the bottom, the top two thirds was all toolbars. She said she
>> didn't know how to get rid of them. It took all of a second to find the
>> toolbars menu and remove all but the only useful one.
>
> When you showed her how trivial it was, did you manage to ascertain how
> she hadn't managed to do that for herself?

Hm, Go there you must not, young Jedi. That way lies the path to Anger.
Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Fear. And Fear leads to the Dark Side.

Oh wait. Windows she uses. It is already too late.

Cheers,
James

From: Woody on
Chris Ridd <chrisridd(a)mac.com> wrote:
> On 2010-07-28 16:19:25 +0100, Andy Hewitt said:
>
>> Quite a few fixes, and a load of extensions available (or did I miss
>> that before?)
>
> The extensions were there before, but not enabled by default and IME
> they'd often make Safari 5.0 crash.
>
>> Seems OK so far.
>
> Much less crashy now, using AdBlock. There's a nice gallery at
> <http://extensions.apple.com/> which automatically marks the ones
> you've already got installed. Rather thrilling!

Glad you said it that way. Often in the Mac world there isn't enough
enthusiasm about things

--
Woody
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-29, Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Quite a few fixes, and a load of extensions available (or did I miss
>>> that before?)
>>
>> The extensions were there before, but not enabled by default and IME
>> they'd often make Safari 5.0 crash.
>>
>>> Seems OK so far.
>>
>> Much less crashy now, using AdBlock. There's a nice gallery at
>> <http://extensions.apple.com/> which automatically marks the ones
>> you've already got installed. Rather thrilling!
>
> Glad you said it that way. Often in the Mac world there isn't enough
> enthusiasm about things

Yeah, but 'thrilling' is the new 'meh'. Get back to me when it's
magical.

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Pd on
James Dore <james.dore(a)new.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 20:58:42 +0100, Tim Streater
> <timstreater(a)waitrose.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <1jmcx80.1loodxumign5cN%peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid>,
> > peterd.news(a)gmail.invalid (Pd) wrote:

> >> all
> >> I was staying at a friend's place last weekend, and had occasion to use
> >> their Windows laptop. Their Firefox has about three inches of usable
> >> window at the bottom, the top two thirds was all toolbars. She said she
> >> didn't know how to get rid of them. It took all of a second to find the
> >> toolbars menu and remove all but the only useful one.
> >
> > When you showed her how trivial it was, did you manage to ascertain how
> > she hadn't managed to do that for herself?
>
> Hm, Go there you must not, young Jedi. That way lies the path to Anger.
> Anger leads to Hate. Hate leads to Fear. And Fear leads to the Dark Side.
>
> Oh wait. Windows she uses. It is already too late.

It just shows how oblivious some people are to stuff they're not
interested in. A bit like someone mentioning that their car turns to the
left if they let go of the steering wheel, and you point out their left
front tyre is flat.

--
Pd
From: Rowland McDonnell on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

> >> The extensions were there before, but not enabled by default and IME
> >> they'd often make Safari 5.0 crash.

> >> Much less crashy now, using AdBlock. There's a nice gallery at
> >> <http://extensions.apple.com/> which automatically marks the ones
> >> you've already got installed. Rather thrilling!
> >
> > Glad you said it that way. Often in the Mac world there isn't enough
> > enthusiasm about things
> >

> Yeah, but 'thrilling' is the new 'meh'. Get back to me when it's
> magical.

The problem is that we live in a world where a magical thing like my new
mobe - WAP, email, camera, radio, games, built-in phone book, colour
LCD, SMS, and of course an actual mobile telephone all in a wafer thin
package with a tiny rechargable battery lasting for bloody ages and
costing fifteen pounds (how much?) is thought of as - well, `meh'.

But it's a technological miracle!!! - especially considering the price.

Rowland.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me