From: Jim on
On 2010-07-29, Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

>> > Glad you said it that way. Often in the Mac world there isn't enough
>> > enthusiasm about things
>> >

>> Yeah, but 'thrilling' is the new 'meh'. Get back to me when it's
>> magical.
>
> The problem is that we live in a world where a magical thing like my new
> mobe - WAP, email, camera, radio, games, built-in phone book, colour
> LCD, SMS, and of course an actual mobile telephone all in a wafer thin
> package with a tiny rechargable battery lasting for bloody ages and
> costing fifteen pounds (how much?) is thought of as - well, `meh'.
>
> But it's a technological miracle!!! - especially considering the price.

I always try to take the view that "you can stand in the middle of a
field, miles from anywhere, and talk to someone in near realtime in
*Australia*! What more could you possibly want?"

Then I found Angry Birds...

Jim
--
Twitter:@GreyAreaUK

"If you have enough book space, I don't want to talk to you."
Terry Pratchett
From: Woody on
Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, but 'thrilling' is the new 'meh'. Get back to me when it's
>>> magical.
>>
>> The problem is that we live in a world where a magical thing like my
> > new
>> mobe - WAP, email, camera, radio, games, built-in phone book, colour
>> LCD, SMS, and of course an actual mobile telephone all in a wafer
> > thin
>> package with a tiny rechargable battery lasting for bloody ages and
>> costing fifteen pounds (how much?) is thought of as - well, `meh'.
>>
>> But it's a technological miracle!!! - especially considering the
> > price.
>
> I always try to take the view that "you can stand in the middle of a
> field, miles from anywhere, and talk to someone in near realtime in
> *Australia*! What more could you possibly want?"

To not be stuck in the middle of a field talking to some Australian?

--
Woody
From: Jim on
On 2010-07-29, Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

>>> But it's a technological miracle!!! - especially considering the
>> > price.
>>
>> I always try to take the view that "you can stand in the middle of a
>> field, miles from anywhere, and talk to someone in near realtime in
>> *Australia*! What more could you possibly want?"
>
> To not be stuck in the middle of a field talking to some Australian?

I also forgot to add "unless you're with O2, in which case all bets are
off".

Jim

From: Rowland McDonnell on
Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:

> Jim <jim(a)magrathea.plus.com> wrote:
> > Rowland McDonnell
[snip]

> > I always try to take the view that "you can stand in the middle of a
> > field, miles from anywhere, and talk to someone in near realtime in
> > *Australia*! What more could you possibly want?"
>
> To not be stuck in the middle of a field talking to some Australian?

I've got a couple of dead cute Aussie cousins - and their parents[1]
live in a lovely house with a glass balcony out front overlooking the
beach `just outside Sydney'. With surfboards in the garage - they
think, somewhere under all the junk.

Hmm. Yes, that's why you don't want to talk to them: you just get
jealous.

Rowland.

[1] Dad's middle name is Odin. The excuse? *His* dad was Danish.

--
Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell(a)dog.physics.org
Sorry - the spam got to me
From: Pd on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> I've got a couple of dead cute Aussie cousins

Even the cutest Aussies aren't that cute when they're dead.

--
Pd