From: annalissa on
i all,

Hi all,

I was going through the book Linux Administration Handbook by evi
nemeth, et al

in it is written that ideal operating temperature for computer
equipment is (17c-20c) with about 45% humidity.

ambient temperature about 27C in the computer room imply about 49C
inside machines. commercial grade chips have an operational range up
to about 120F, at which point they stop working; beyond about
160F(71C) they break.

my questions are as follows:-

1) on what basis it is said that ambient temperature about 27C in the
computer room imply about 49C inside machines.
is it based on any empirical formula ?

2) Can any one point out some good guidelines for cpu temperature
settings / server room temperature settings ?
From: General Schvantzkoph on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 11:34:42 -0700, annalissa wrote:

> i all,
>
> Hi all,
>
> I was going through the book Linux Administration Handbook by evi
> nemeth, et al
>
> in it is written that ideal operating temperature for computer equipment
> is (17c-20c) with about 45% humidity.
>
> ambient temperature about 27C in the computer room imply about 49C
> inside machines. commercial grade chips have an operational range up to
> about 120F, at which point they stop working; beyond about 160F(71C)
> they break.
>

> my questions are as follows:-
>
> 1) on what basis it is said that ambient temperature about 27C in the
> computer room imply about 49C inside machines. is it based on any
> empirical formula ?

This is just a rule of thumb, a 20-25 degree rise above the ambient
temperature is what you would usually see on a lightly loaded system
using a typical crappy heatsink. Under a fairly heavy load the
temperature might rise another 20C which would bring you to the 70C
range. Most CPUs are rated for higher than 70C, but that's a good number
to use as an absolute max. If you used a high performance cooler like a
Thermalright you would see much lower temperature rises.

> 2) Can any one point out some good guidelines for cpu temperature
> settings / server room temperature settings ?

The 27C number that they suggested is based on human comfort more than
computer comfort. 27C is a little above 80F which is on the warm side of
comfortable for a person. When picking the cooling components for a box
they are assuming that a person is likely to be in the same room as the
computer so they design for about a 40C rise above room temperature on a
typical CPU load. If you are running your systems with heavy loads then
you would want to keep the room colder, use better heatsinks, and have
very good airflow through the boxes. If you are using off the shelf
systems then the only variable that you can control is the room
temperature, if your systems are too hot make the room colder. Just use
lmsensors to tell you what the temperatures in your systems are.

I keep my server room at 70F and I have Thermalright Ultra coolers on my
CPUs. Here are the temperatures on my iCore7 running flat out on all four
cores and overclocked to 4GHz,

CPU Temperature: +57.5°C (high = +60.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)
MB Temperature: +46.0°C (high = +45.0°C, crit = +75.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0: +62.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0001
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 1: +68.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0002
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 2: +62.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)

coretemp-isa-0003
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 3: +63.0°C (high = +80.0°C, crit = +100.0°C)