From: Danno on
I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying to get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M) working in it under Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it as :
"Invalid Class or Cub Class (9h, 80h)"
and the kernel isn't doing its usual magic. I know the card works, pulled it form a working system, and I am able to get an old 1M Matrox PCI card to work without difficulty. The PCI bus is v2.1, so it is compatible with the new card. I've disabled the serial and parallel ports, and tried to disabled the integrated "Cirrus GD 5436 [Alpine]" video in the BIOS (but it still gets used anyway). I've tried swapping the card across three available PCI slots, by itself, and in combination with one or two other PCI cards (SB Live! & 3COM NIC). The video card seems dependent on having another card present, in order for it to show up as invalid - if it is not following another card in the previous PCI slot, it won't register at all. When it does register, it shows up (in the diagnostics software) as occupying "slot X" which is also occupied by the previous card.
When I cat /proc/ioports I see the I/O ranges I've set for the card, and they do not conflict with any other devices, but there is no IRQ set for it, lspci shows no module. I've disabled Power Management in the BIOS, booted with noapic noapci. When I boot an older kernel (2.4.33.x) cat /proc/ioports shows the pair of devices (other + video) on the ioports defined, but it shows it as two of the valid card (2 SB cards, 2 3COM cards) rather than the valid card plus the video card. Clearly, the PCI card is not automagically registering with the BIOS.
I have installed the latest ROM and Compaq diagnostics software.
I seem to recall that the first Pentiums had a system RAM limit of 128M, am wondering if the 512M of video RAM is beyond the physical limits of the system to address, but really don't have a lot of experience with P1 systems.
Anyone got any insight as to how I might get this 8400GS working?

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755
From: philo on
On 08/06/2010 10:27 PM, Danno wrote:
> I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying to get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M) working in it under Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it as :
> "Invalid Class or Cub Class (9h, 80h)"
> and the kernel isn't doing its usual magic. I know the card works, pulled it form a working system, and I am able to get an old 1M Matrox PCI card to work without difficulty. The PCI bus is v2.1, so it is compatible with the new card. I've disabled the serial and parallel ports, and tried to disabled the integrated "Cirrus GD 5436 [Alpine]" video in the BIOS (but it still gets used anyway). I've tried swapping the card across three available PCI slots, by itself, and in combination with one or two other PCI cards (SB Live!& 3COM NIC). The video card seems dependent on having another card present, in order for it to show up as invalid - if it is not following another card in the previous PCI slot, it won't register at all. When it does register, it shows up (in the diagnostics software) as occupying "slot X" which is also occupied by the previous card.
> When I cat /proc/ioports I see the I/O ranges I've set for the card, and they do not conflict with any other devices, but there is no IRQ set for it, lspci shows no module. I've disabled Power Management in the BIOS, booted with noapic noapci. When I boot an older kernel (2.4.33.x) cat /proc/ioports shows the pair of devices (other + video) on the ioports defined, but it shows it as two of the valid card (2 SB cards, 2 3COM cards) rather than the valid card plus the video card. Clearly, the PCI card is not automagically registering with the BIOS.
> I have installed the latest ROM and Compaq diagnostics software.
> I seem to recall that the first Pentiums had a system RAM limit of 128M, am wondering if the 512M of video RAM is beyond the physical limits of the system to address, but really don't have a lot of experience with P1 systems.
> Anyone got any insight as to how I might get this 8400GS working?

You may want to use NVidia's drivers

http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.09.html

the 512 megs of RAM on the card are not giving you the problem at any rate

BTW: If you already have a working card

I can't imagine what you hope to gain by switching

I am sure you are not using your P-1 for gaming!
From: Danno on
On Fri, 06 Aug 2010 22:40:05 -0500
philo <philo(a)privacy.invalid> wrote:

> You may want to use NVidia's drivers
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_display_ia32_100.14.09.html
> the 512 megs of RAM on the card are not giving you the problem at any
> rate
> BTW: If you already have a working card
> I can't imagine what you hope to gain by switching
> I am sure you are not using your P-1 for gaming!

I'll be attempting to use nVidia's blob at some point, but my gut tells me that if both the BIOS and the OS cannot see the card properly, nVidia's module will be hard-pressed to do its thing. Had hoepd to identify it as a valid device before compiling the module.
Not using the P1 for gaming, just for experimenting. Have seen some fairly phenomenal results with mplayer compiled with vdpau (this card on an Atom D330 shows 10% average CPU usage, I'm sure almost all of that is dedicated to AC3 decoding), am wondering just how much CPU muscle is actually needed nowadays, hope to test various video bitrates/resolutions with this system. Just messing around, really, I've got a 486dx4-100 tucked away for those times when I really want a challenge ;)

From: Danno on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 06:54:17 +0200
DenverD <spam.trap(a)SOMEwhere.dk> wrote:

> Danno wrote:
> > [snip] I've disabled the serial and parallel ports, and
> > tried to disabled the integrated "Cirrus GD 5436 [Alpine]" video in
> > the BIOS (but it still gets used anyway).
>
> strange that a BIOS disabled video is used, huh?
>
> check if the most recent BIOS installed..
>
> and check hardware documentation for location of a jumper on the
> motherboard to disable the built-in video..
>
> now, neither of those might be useful in solving the problem--but in
> my mind either may be a first step that direction ...

Strange indeed. I suspect that it is some kinda fallback code, if no valid video device is present. When I use the Matrox card, it defaults to the discrete card rather than the integrated chipset, so I know it is capable of using alternate devices.
Have the latest BIOS installed, and there are no jumpers for disabling the video. No jumpers on the video card either. Thanks for the suggestions, though.

From: Danno on
On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 21:27:05 -0600
Danno <WhoaBaby(a)MySecretPlace.org> wrote:

> I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying to
> get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M) working in it under
> Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it as : "Invalid Class or
> Cub Class (9h, 80h)" and the kernel isn't doing its usual magic.
<snip>
> Anyone got any insight as to how I might get this 8400GS working?

After spending a few more hours Googling and checking hardware specs, it would seem to indicate that the power supply in this old iron just isn't up to snuff. Supplies +12V(a)7A, manufacturer suggests min. +12v(a)18A, I've had it running on a PS capable of +12V(a)13A (but there are very few other current draws in that system). I'll try it in a few other low-powered/high-consumption boxes to be sure, but amperage seems to be the culprit ATM.