From: Pascal Hambourg on
[Your lines are waaaay too long]

Hello,
> I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying
to get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M) working in it under
Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it as :

Danno a �crit :
> I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying
> to get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M)

Wow, I didn't even imagine that such card existed for PCI bus.

> working in it under Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it as :
> "Invalid Class or Cub Class (9h, 80h)"
> and the kernel isn't doing its usual magic. I know the card works

PCI cass and subclass for a VGA card should be 3h, 0h (0300 hex). 9h,
80h are the PCI class and subclass for input controller, other. Maybe
this is not the VGA part of the card but the video capture part if it
has this capability.

What does lspci -nn report about the card ?
From: Danno on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 11:00:36 +0200
Pascal Hambourg <boite-a-spam(a)plouf.fr.eu.org> wrote:

> [Your lines are waaaay too long]
>
> Hello,
> > I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying
> to get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M) working in it under
> Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it as :
>
> Danno a écrit :
> > I got a P1-133 the other day, a Compaq Deskpro 2000 5133. Am trying
> > to get a new PCI video card (nVidia 8400GS, 512M)
>
> Wow, I didn't even imagine that such card existed for PCI bus.
>
> > working in it under Slackware 13.1, but the BIOS/Diagnostics show it
> > as : "Invalid Class or Cub Class (9h, 80h)"
> > and the kernel isn't doing its usual magic. I know the card works
>
> PCI cass and subclass for a VGA card should be 3h, 0h (0300 hex). 9h,
> 80h are the PCI class and subclass for input controller, other. Maybe
> this is not the VGA part of the card but the video capture part if it
> has this capability.
>
> What does lspci -nn report about the card ?

It's a decent little card, once it's configured the entire encoded video
stream just gets dumped straight from RAM into through the PCI bus.
Struggles a bit with unencoded blu ray M2TS files, but once you pare them
down to a 4-8Mbps x264-encoded stream, the PCI bus has no problem shuffling
things around, the CPU does virtually nothing, as near as I can tell.
lspci -nn reveals the usual suspects, no mention of the
nVidia card. I'm guessing, based on the copycat information I seem to be
getting in certain card combinations, that it is being assigned those
values because it is following the SB Live! audio card in the physical
slots. It looks as though my problem is rooted in power supply, will
experiment a bit, see what I can come up with.
Sorry about the long lines, thought I had configured that to wrap on
send...

--
Slackware 13.1, 2.6.33.4-smp, Core i7 920
RLU #272755