From: joe on
I have had to reload my original operating system, after my computer failed.
I have IE 6.00, xp service pack 1, x86 (32 bit)

I want to upgrade to the home user version of service pack 3 and ie 8, but
am blocked on Microsoft's Windows Download Center and Windows Update sites
(Need a higher version of IE, but can't obtain the higher version of IE until
I have SP 3, but can't download SP 3 until I have a higher level of IE).

Help!
From: MowGreen on
Download, *save*, and then install Firefox 3.0.17
http://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-3.0.17&os=win&lang=en-US

Then download and *save* the full standalone XP SP3 32bit:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4&DisplayLang=en

Read these articles prior to applying SP3 to save yourself unneeded grief:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/

Windows XP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron/archive/2008/05/08/windows-xp-sp3-read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx

Once SP3 has been successfully applied you can remove Firefox from
Add/Remove Programs or retain it. Support for that specific Version is
supposed to end this month.

Strongly suggest that if you do retain Firefox, install the NoScript
add-on that stops all scripts from running unless *you* specifically
allow them to: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

Finally, install IE8 ASAP whether you're going to use it or not since
it's embedded into all Windows OS':
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=341c2ad5-8c3d-4347-8c03-08cdecd8852b

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *never* have *non-security content* prechecked"