From: Rick Lyons on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 22:13:31 -0500, "bharat pathak"
<bharat(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.arithos.com> wrote:

>I was just trying to understand FFT and the presence of sine and
>cosine terms present as the basis functions. I dont know whats wrong
>in asking questions and why cant experts make mistakes in understanding.
>
>Long time back I had pointed an "understanding error" in Rick Lyons book.
>and he acknowledged the same. While discussion I had figured it out that
>his assumptions were wrong to begin with. Does that mean he does not
>know DSP?
>
>Regards
>Bharat

Hello Bharat,
Your name sounds familiar to me, but I
checked my old E-mail files and I can't find
any E-mails that you and I exchanged.

Would you send me a private E-mail?
(Delete the characters: "_BOGUS_".)

[-Rick-]

From: Rick Lyons on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:50:30 -0700 (PDT), robert bristow-johnson
<rbj(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:

>On Jul 28, 11:39�pm, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>> bharat pathak wrote:
>> > I was just trying to understand FFT and the presence of sine and
>> > cosine terms present as the basis functions.
>>
>> Hm. What it should mean?
>>
>> > I dont know whats wrong
>> > in asking questions and why cant experts make mistakes in understanding.
>>
>> Oh, nothing wrong. You may even become a PhD.
>>
>> > Long time back I had pointed an "understanding error" in Rick Lyons book.
>> > and he acknowledged the same. While discussion I had figured it out that
>> > his assumptions were wrong to begin with. Does that mean he does not
>> > know DSP?
>>
>> "Stupid is as stupid does", as Forrest Gump used to say.
>>
>> > Regards
>> > Bharat
>>
>> VLV
>
>i think it's Simon Cowell spoofing Vlad V. i didn't make it to the
>comp.dsp conference to meet "Vladimir" (who i am sure is Simon Cowell)
>first hand, so i leave it to those who did to verify my suspicion.
>
>r b-j

Hi rbj,
Nope Vladimir is not Simon Cowell. However, I wouldn't
mind seeing a "face-off" between Vladimir and Cowell.
It would be like applying an irresistible force to an
immovable object.

[-Rick-]
From: Clay on
On Aug 4, 5:58 am, Rick Lyons <R.Lyons@_BOGUS_ieee.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 21:50:30 -0700 (PDT), robert bristow-johnson
>

> <r...(a)audioimagination.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hm. What it should mean?

> >> Oh, nothing wrong. You may even become a PhD.

> >> "Stupid is as stupid does", as Forrest Gump used to say.

> >> VLV
>
> >i think it's Simon Cowell spoofing Vlad V.  i didn't make it to the
> >comp.dsp conference to meet "Vladimir" (who i am sure is Simon Cowell)
> >first hand, so i leave it to those who did to verify my suspicion.
>
> >r b-j
>
> Hi rbj,
>   Nope Vladimir is not Simon Cowell.  However, I wouldn't
> mind seeing a "face-off" between Vladimir and Cowell.
> It would be like applying an irresistible force to an
> immovable object.
>
> [-Rick-]- Hide quoted text -

The answer to that conundrum is the irresistable force would go up the
side of the immovable object, go across its top, down the other side
and keep on going ;-)

Clay