From: Ashley Sheridan on
On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 12:14 -0400, Floyd Resler wrote:

> > Floyd:
> >
> > Yes, that is odd -- try this:
> >
> > Header ("Content-type: image/gif");
> > $im = imagecreate (400, 400);
> > $background = imagecolorallocate ($im, 238, 238, 238);
> > $text_color = imagecolorallocate ($im, 00, 51, 102);
> > imagettftext ($im, 10, 90, 200, 200, $text_color, "arial.ttf", "Hello World...");
> > imagegif ($im);
> > imagedestroy ($im);
> >
> > You must use arial.ttf for the above -- in fact, that might be your problem, the font you are using may be that way.
> >
> > Here's an example of this working:
> >
> > http://webbytedd.com/b/timed-php/
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > tedd
>
> Well, whatever the problem is it is definitely related only to my system. I tried your code and had the same results (https://adexfulfillment.com/adex/tests/test.php). I tried different fonts as well. The fonts I'm using were exported from FontBook on my Mac. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Anyway you could pass along the arial font you're using so I can test that possibility?
>
> Thanks!
> Floyd

The Arial font should be available on every system by default. I believe
the Linux equivalent is LiberationSans, and possibly Helvetica on a Mac,
but essentially they are considered similar enough equivalents for
rendering things like this. If in doubt, try playing about with
different fonts. Just a quick question, but the headings are all being
created as whole headings and not individual letters yeah?

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

From: Floyd Resler on

On Aug 12, 2010, at 12:17 PM, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

>>> Floyd:
>>>
>>> Yes, that is odd -- try this:
>>>
>>> Header ("Content-type: image/gif");
>>> $im = imagecreate (400, 400);
>>> $background = imagecolorallocate ($im, 238, 238, 238);
>>> $text_color = imagecolorallocate ($im, 00, 51, 102);
>>> imagettftext ($im, 10, 90, 200, 200, $text_color, "arial.ttf", "Hello World...");
>>> imagegif ($im);
>>> imagedestroy ($im);
>>>
>>> You must use arial.ttf for the above -- in fact, that might be your problem, the font you are using may be that way.
>>>
>>> Here's an example of this working:
>>>
>>> http://webbytedd.com/b/timed-php/
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> tedd
>>
>> Well, whatever the problem is it is definitely related only to my system. I tried your code and had the same results (https://adexfulfillment.com/adex/tests/test.php). I tried different fonts as well. The fonts I'm using were exported from FontBook on my Mac. I wonder if that might have something to do with it. Anyway you could pass along the arial font you're using so I can test that possibility?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Floyd
>>

> The Arial font should be available on every system by default. I believe
> the Linux equivalent is LiberationSans, and possibly Helvetica on a Mac,
> but essentially they are considered similar enough equivalents for
> rendering things like this. If in doubt, try playing about with
> different fonts. Just a quick question, but the headings are all being
> created as whole headings and not individual letters yeah?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

Yep, I'm rendering the entire header not individual letters. I just tried it using a font that came with my Ubuntu install and it still does the same thing. So, I guess I'll need to do a little more digging. Thankfully it is just for us internally so none of our clients will see it!

Thanks!
Floyd

From: tedd on

>Well, whatever the problem is it is definitely related only to my
>system. I tried your code and had the same results
>(https://adexfulfillment.com/adex/tests/test.php). I tried
>different fonts as well. The fonts I'm using were exported from
>FontBook on my Mac. I wonder if that might have something to do
>with it. Anyway you could pass along the arial font you're using so
>I can test that possibility?
>
>Thanks!
>Floyd

Floyd:

It's clearly a font problem.

The arial.ttl font is easily found on the net, such as:

http://www.fontemple.com/key-arial_ttl_download.html

Cheers,

tedd
--