From: pjp on
Cross posted to "xp.general" as it seemed to be deleted immediately on
server (or so OE says).

Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over.

All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I notice
it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself
during one of the boots and I think little of it until ...

During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender
doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my laptop
figured I just download it.

When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let it,
at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, guess got to somehow enter in the key
I'm looking at on the guaranteed genuine Compaq label still attached to the
side of the case.

Thinking docs indicate straightforward, invalidte the "timer" in the
registry, do the Therefore do the "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a"
thingie and go to enter the key. It's not accepted! It's a XP Pro install
andI'm trying to enter a REAL XP key. What's the problem?

Haven't rebooted since then but willing to bet there'll be some bs when it
needs to.

P.S. System Properties/ General tab shows blank lines and has since install?

From: Shenan Stanley on
pjp wrote:
> Cross posted to "xp.general" as it seemed to be deleted immediately on
> server (or so OE says).
>
> Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over.
>
> All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I
> notice
> it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself
> during one of the boots and I think little of it until ...
>
> During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender
> doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my
> laptop
> figured I just download it.
>
> When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let
> it,
> at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, guess got to somehow enter in the key
> I'm looking at on the guaranteed genuine Compaq label still attached to
> the
> side of the case.
>
> Thinking docs indicate straightforward, invalidte the "timer" in the
> registry, do the Therefore do the "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe
> /a"
> thingie and go to enter the key. It's not accepted! It's a XP Pro install
> andI'm trying to enter a REAL XP key. What's the problem?
>
> Haven't rebooted since then but willing to bet there'll be some bs when it
> needs to.
>
> P.S. System Properties/ General tab shows blank lines and has since
> install?

Was there something in there to answer?

Use this tool:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409
(Fix your product key problem.)

Of course that assumes you installed with the same edition of Windows that
is on the product key sticker on your "Compaq label"... A Windows XP
Professional installation would require a Windows XP Professional product
key.

Other advice:

Do not use "Windows Defender". If you insist on using a Microsoft based
product - go to "Microsoft Security Essentials" at least - but I suggest not
using either, get and use Avira AntiVir (free) or eSet NOD32 (at a cost) <-
just simple, good antivirus solutions with small footprints and excellent
records.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: Daave on
pjp wrote:
> Cross posted to "xp.general" as it seemed to be deleted immediately on
> server (or so OE says).

(Multi-posted is the term if it is not simultaneous.)

Nothing was deleted on my end. (At least, not yet!) At any rate, here's
the thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.general/browse_frm/thread/33e1ea99193f0f0d/e8d20da35b7cad48?hl=en&tvc=1#e8d20da35b7cad48

From: pjp on

"Shenan Stanley" <newshelper(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> pjp wrote:
>> Cross posted to "xp.general" as it seemed to be deleted immediately on
>> server (or so OE says).
>>
>> Hardware hit from lightning so new hd and video card and start over.
>>
>> All goes well with install using a slipstreamed XP-Pro SP3 disk but I
>> notice
>> it never asks for the Product Key during install yet it Activates itself
>> during one of the boots and I think little of it until ...
>>
>> During the updates which followed (100+!!!) I notice Windows Defender
>> doesn't seem to run or leave itself installed. As it is running on my
>> laptop
>> figured I just download it.
>>
>> When I run it, it wants to first do the Genuine Advantage bs which I let
>> it,
>> at which time it says "bogus". Ugh, guess got to somehow enter in the key
>> I'm looking at on the guaranteed genuine Compaq label still attached to
>> the
>> side of the case.
>>
>> Thinking docs indicate straightforward, invalidte the "timer" in the
>> registry, do the Therefore do the "%systemroot%\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe
>> /a"
>> thingie and go to enter the key. It's not accepted! It's a XP Pro install
>> andI'm trying to enter a REAL XP key. What's the problem?
>>
>> Haven't rebooted since then but willing to bet there'll be some bs when
>> it
>> needs to.
>>
>> P.S. System Properties/ General tab shows blank lines and has since
>> install?
>
> Was there something in there to answer?
>
> Use this tool:
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409
> (Fix your product key problem.)
>
> Of course that assumes you installed with the same edition of Windows that
> is on the product key sticker on your "Compaq label"... A Windows XP
> Professional installation would require a Windows XP Professional product
> key.

It appears you also must know beforehand if it's an OEN or VLK Pro disk.

From: Shenan Stanley on

pjp wrote:
> It appears you also must know beforehand if it's an OEN or VLK Pro disk.

Yours (product key) is an OEM. Sticker on the side of a machine...

Use the tool, enter the key you have on the sticker, should work out okay.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP