From: Radarv00 on
Tried several times to update. Went through FAQ. Tried some troubleshooting.
But still getting FAIL. Funny thing is, The same updates were successful on
two other machines on same network. Files involved are Security Update for
Windows XP (kb975713),(kb978037), (kb975560), (kb977914), (kb978706).
I have cleared out temp files and cookies. Running Norton 360. . .
Any help would be greatly appriciated.
From: Ǝиçεl on
Further information required:

How to view the Update log in Windows

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate
the error code(s) associated with the latest failed attempt to
download/install.

Start at the bottom and work your way up to a section
that shows an ERROR, WARNING, or FATAL.

If appropriate copy and paste the error codes into this thread so
someone may be able to assist you.

On the other hand, you may be able to find the error code and other
suggestions by searching the Newsgroup.

suggest you use the search tool your web interface to
newsgroups provides and look for related discussions
about the KB975713, etc. etc you mentioned .
Search for KB975713

(Alt-7 in Search For type kb975713)

Also check Windows folder for file called KB******.log
(****** = number of update ie KB896688) and post the contents of
the failed update.

This may provide further clues as to why the update failed.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093>

From: Peter Foldes on
Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool and install
something like Nod32

Norton Removal Tool
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

--
Peter

From: MowGreen on
Peter Foldes wrote:
> Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool
> and install something like Nod32
>
> Norton Removal Tool
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

I concur. Norton360 is NOT compatible with Windows and is causing the
Access Denied error, 0x80070005.

MowGreen
================
* -343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
================

banthecheck.com
From: Michael on
"MowGreen" <mowgreen(a)nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> Peter Foldes wrote:
>> Norton strikes again. Get rid of Norton by using the Norton Removal Tool
>> and install something like Nod32
>>
>> Norton Removal Tool
>> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
>>

> I concur. Norton360 is NOT compatible with Windows and is causing the
> Access Denied error, 0x80070005.
>

> MowGreen

Not to agree or disagree, but I used Norton products since '98 starting with
a Gateway, then on 2 home built machines, 4 laptops and finally this Dell.
Started with Systemworks and ended with 360 and never had a Windows Update
problem. I no longer use it, but not due to problems. I now have
everything running MSE. I'm just wondering why it only effects random
systems?
--

"Don't pick a fight with an old man.