From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that Steve Urbach <dragonsclaw(a)NOTmindspring.com>
on or about Mon, 08 Feb 2010 18:02:03 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in alt.os.windows-xp the following:
>On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:34:38 -0800, pyotr filipivich <phamp(a)mindspring.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Greetings
>>
>>Just trying to run a simple batch file.
>> xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups /s /m
>>And it copies the first file (backups.bat) and then 'codes' out with
>>an "insufficient memory" error.
>>
>> Where? There's room on the disk drive. Watching the various
>>graphs the memory usage does hit the top - is that what it is "doing"?
>>Windows can't run a "simple DOS command" w/o running out of memory?
>>
>> The "funny" part is the other batch file, which does a similar
>>thing, only not with music files, works fine. So, what am I missing
>>in terms of memory management in a batch file?
>>
>>oh yes, running XP home sp 3
>>-
>>pyotr filipivich

>Is it possible there are recursive shortcuts on D:

Again, I doubt I have shortcuts on D:. OTGH - who knows what
Microsoft does?

>(I can't believe xcopy is that stupid)
>
>File system damaged: check

I doubt so. But then who am I to question the benevolence of our
Silicon Based Overlords?

I ran RamFreer (a garbage collection program), it reports 730 megs of
the 1 gig RAM as available. No joy. I could do a "cut and paste" copy
in Windows - if I don't mind copying all 153 Gigs ("only 273 minutes
to go!") - but could not get xcopy to handle the task. Either as a
batch file, or in cmd.exe window. Question to the technogeeks, is
there some kind of limit on the memory of a cmd.exe window? Again, I
have my doubts, as the CPU graph hits 100% and then reports
"insufficient memory"? Swap file issue?

On a completely different note, why doesn't ATTRIB either set the
archive bit on hidden files, or just shut up about it?
-
pyotr filipivich.
Just about the time you finally see light at the end of the tunnel,
you find out it's a Government Project to build more tunnel.
From: Kadaitcha the almost Transmogrified on
"Steve Urbach", thou hot-headed frantic-fool. Thou art the rudeliest
welcome to this world. Ye huffed:

> I did not think

Did you ever?