From: pyotr filipivich on
Greetings

Just trying to run a simple batch file.
xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups /s /m
And it copies the first file (backups.bat) and then 'codes' out with
an "insufficient memory" error.

Where? There's room on the disk drive. Watching the various
graphs the memory usage does hit the top - is that what it is "doing"?
Windows can't run a "simple DOS command" w/o running out of memory?

The "funny" part is the other batch file, which does a similar
thing, only not with music files, works fine. So, what am I missing
in terms of memory management in a batch file?

oh yes, running XP home sp 3
-
pyotr filipivich
"Remember, the moral of our show. Put your troubles away until tomorrow.
If you're lucky, somebody will break into your house tonight and steal them."
Dean Martin
From: Steve Urbach on
On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:34:38 -0800, pyotr filipivich <phamp(a)mindspring.com>
wrote:

>Greetings
>
>Just trying to run a simple batch file.
> xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups /s /m
>And it copies the first file (backups.bat) and then 'codes' out with
>an "insufficient memory" error.
>
> Where? There's room on the disk drive. Watching the various
>graphs the memory usage does hit the top - is that what it is "doing"?
>Windows can't run a "simple DOS command" w/o running out of memory?
>
> The "funny" part is the other batch file, which does a similar
>thing, only not with music files, works fine. So, what am I missing
>in terms of memory management in a batch file?
>
>oh yes, running XP home sp 3
>-
>pyotr filipivich
>"Remember, the moral of our show. Put your troubles away until tomorrow.
>If you're lucky, somebody will break into your house tonight and steal them."
> Dean Martin
Is it possible there are recursive shortcuts on D:

(I can't believe xcopy is that stupid)

File system damaged: check

From: Auric__ on
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 02:02:03 GMT, Steve Urbach wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:34:38 -0800, pyotr filipivich
> <phamp(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings
>>
>>Just trying to run a simple batch file.
>> xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups /s /m
>>And it copies the first file (backups.bat) and then 'codes' out with
>>an "insufficient memory" error.
>>
>> Where? There's room on the disk drive. Watching the various
>>graphs the memory usage does hit the top - is that what it is "doing"?
>>Windows can't run a "simple DOS command" w/o running out of memory?
>>
>> The "funny" part is the other batch file, which does a similar
>>thing, only not with music files, works fine. So, what am I missing
>>in terms of memory management in a batch file?
>>
>>oh yes, running XP home sp 3
>>-
>>pyotr filipivich
>>"Remember, the moral of our show. Put your troubles away until tomorrow.
>>If you're lucky, somebody will break into your house tonight and steal
>>them."
>> Dean Martin
> Is it possible there are recursive shortcuts on D:
>
> (I can't believe xcopy is that stupid)

It's not. Xcopy doesn't follow shortcuts; it copies the .lnk files, not the
targets.

--
Of course the zombie loved me. She gave me her heart. Mmmmm-hmmm.
And her hand in marriage.
From: Steve Urbach on
On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:33:44 GMT, "Auric__" <not.my.real(a)email.address> wrote:

>On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 02:02:03 GMT, Steve Urbach wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 15:34:38 -0800, pyotr filipivich
>> <phamp(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Greetings
>>>
>>>Just trying to run a simple batch file.
>>> xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups /s /m
>>>And it copies the first file (backups.bat) and then 'codes' out with
>>>an "insufficient memory" error.
>>>
>>> Where? There's room on the disk drive. Watching the various
>>>graphs the memory usage does hit the top - is that what it is "doing"?
>>>Windows can't run a "simple DOS command" w/o running out of memory?
>>>
>>> The "funny" part is the other batch file, which does a similar
>>>thing, only not with music files, works fine. So, what am I missing
>>>in terms of memory management in a batch file?
>>>
>>>oh yes, running XP home sp 3
>>>-
>>>pyotr filipivich
>>>"Remember, the moral of our show. Put your troubles away until tomorrow.
>>>If you're lucky, somebody will break into your house tonight and steal
>>>them."
>>> Dean Martin
>> Is it possible there are recursive shortcuts on D:
>>
>> (I can't believe xcopy is that stupid)
>
>It's not. Xcopy doesn't follow shortcuts; it copies the .lnk files, not the
>targets.
I did not think it would :)
Something is driving his xcopy off to left field :/
From: pyotr filipivich on
Let the Record show that Steve Urbach <dragonsclaw(a)NOTmindspring.com>
on or about Tue, 09 Feb 2010 10:50:46 -0800 did write/type or cause to
appear in alt.os.windows-xp the following:
>On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 15:33:44 GMT, "Auric__" <not.my.real(a)email.address> wrote:
>>On Tue, 09 Feb 2010 02:02:03 GMT, Steve Urbach wrote:

>>> Is it possible there are recursive shortcuts on D:
>>>
>>> (I can't believe xcopy is that stupid)
>>
>>It's not. Xcopy doesn't follow shortcuts; it copies the .lnk files, not the
>>targets.
>I did not think it would :)
>Something is driving his xcopy off to left field :/

The only thing I can figure is that trying to xcopy a massive tree
it gets lost in all the subtrees. Somewhat in a similar manner how
Windows sometimes reports that "DirectoryX is too Large to put in
Recycle Bin - permanently delete?" Maybe it finds the files to big to
handle in such a massive manner? Doesn't make sense. Oh, I have
RamFreeer. neat garbage collector program which "frees up" ram. It
reported I had 730 megs of a 1 gig total. I need to check, though - I
thought I'm suppose to have more RAM. Time to get a new computer.)
Anyway, I rewrote the batch file.

cd D:\Music
xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups\Music /s /m
pause
cd D:\videos
xcopy D:\*.* G:\backups\videos /s /m
pause

(I put pause in to let me know where we are.) It works. Klunky, but
it works.

-
pyotr filipivich
If you get hit by a train, it isn't the caboose what kills you.