From: syd_p on
Hello,
I have read thro the Network-Based Installations for Solaris 10 10/09
install guide and I am not sure how to proceed.
I plan to install an intel box with 10/09 - which I have not done
previously - and then use this so I can network boot some sparcs (Stop
A boot net ). The idea being I prepare a quick demo and I cannot boot
of cd/dvd cos there arent any.
Once booted I expect to be able to install from an nfs exported
install dvd.

So the sparcs are all on the same subnet, dhcp wont be available - but
I can map the MAC-> IP on the commandline. And I dont need sysidcfg or
profiles.

Coulkd someone please supply the bullet points on what I should do to
network boot these sparcs.
I am not usre for example on if I should use the Tools jumpstart stuff
on the intel dvd or the Tools jumpstart stuff on the Sparc dvd.

Thanx

Syd

From: ITguy on
> I have read thro the Network-Based Installations for Solaris 10 10/09
> install guide and I am not sure how to proceed.
> I plan to install an intel box with 10/09 - which I have not done
> previously - and then use this so I can network boot some sparcs (Stop
> A  boot net ). The idea being I prepare a quick demo and I cannot boot
> of cd/dvd cos there arent any.
>
> Once booted I expect to be able to install from an nfs exported
> install dvd.

Should work, although your installations will be faster if you spool
the entire SPARC DVD to the hard disk of your X86.

> So the sparcs are all on the same subnet, dhcp wont be available - but
> I can map the MAC-> IP on the commandline. And I dont need sysidcfg or
> profiles.

Without the sysidcfg and profiles, the installer will just prompt you
for everything. Not a big deal.

> Coulkd someone please supply the bullet points on what I should do to
> network boot these sparcs.
> I am not usre for example on if I should use the Tools jumpstart stuff
> on the intel dvd   or the Tools jumpstart stuff on the Sparc dvd.

On your Solaris X86 host:
1) Create a directory on a file system large enough to hold the
entire DVD media
# mkdir /export/js
2) Insert Solaris SPARC DVD and run
# /cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_10/Tools/setup_install_server /export/js
3) Add SPARC client IP addresses to /etc/hosts
4) Add SPARC client MAC addresses to /etc/ethers
5) For each SPARC to install, run this on the X86 host (the following
should all be on one line)
# /export/js/Solaris_10/Tools/add_install_client -s
<X86_SERVER_IP>:/export/js -c <X86_SERVER_IP>:/export/js/config -p
<X86_SERVER_IP>:/export/js/config <SPARC_HOSTNAME> (sun4u|sun4v)

On the SPARC clients:
OK> boot net

With this setup, the SPARC clients must be on the same IP subnet as
the X86 boot server. If you want to add profiles/sysidcfg files, just
put create the /export/js/config directory and add your files. For a
completely unattended install with a valid profile and sysidcfg,
modify the boot command on the SPARCs to:
OK> boot net - install

Good luck.
From: Michael Laajanen on
Hi,

ITguy wrote:
>> I have read thro the Network-Based Installations for Solaris 10 10/09
>> install guide and I am not sure how to proceed.
>> I plan to install an intel box with 10/09 - which I have not done
>> previously - and then use this so I can network boot some sparcs (Stop
>> A boot net ). The idea being I prepare a quick demo and I cannot boot
>> of cd/dvd cos there arent any.
>>
>> Once booted I expect to be able to install from an nfs exported
>> install dvd.
>
> Should work, although your installations will be faster if you spool
> the entire SPARC DVD to the hard disk of your X86.
>
>> So the sparcs are all on the same subnet, dhcp wont be available - but
>> I can map the MAC-> IP on the commandline. And I dont need sysidcfg or
>> profiles.
>
> Without the sysidcfg and profiles, the installer will just prompt you
> for everything. Not a big deal.
>
>> Coulkd someone please supply the bullet points on what I should do to
>> network boot these sparcs.
>> I am not usre for example on if I should use the Tools jumpstart stuff
>> on the intel dvd or the Tools jumpstart stuff on the Sparc dvd.
>
> On your Solaris X86 host:
> 1) Create a directory on a file system large enough to hold the
> entire DVD media
> # mkdir /export/js
> 2) Insert Solaris SPARC DVD and run
> # /cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_10/Tools/setup_install_server /export/js
> 3) Add SPARC client IP addresses to /etc/hosts
> 4) Add SPARC client MAC addresses to /etc/ethers
> 5) For each SPARC to install, run this on the X86 host (the following
> should all be on one line)
> # /export/js/Solaris_10/Tools/add_install_client -s
> <X86_SERVER_IP>:/export/js -c <X86_SERVER_IP>:/export/js/config -p
> <X86_SERVER_IP>:/export/js/config <SPARC_HOSTNAME> (sun4u|sun4v)
>
> On the SPARC clients:
> OK> boot net
>
> With this setup, the SPARC clients must be on the same IP subnet as
> the X86 boot server. If you want to add profiles/sysidcfg files, just
> put create the /export/js/config directory and add your files. For a
> completely unattended install with a valid profile and sysidcfg,
> modify the boot command on the SPARCs to:
> OK> boot net - install
>
> Good luck.
I would recommend changing the jumpstart path to
/export/js/s10_1009/sparc/ so you know which version is installed and
also can have more than one version available.

Myself have also Linux so I use

sysadm(a)tango $ ls /install/
CentOS OpenSolaris Solaris11 Solaris8 TT_DB
FC Solaris10 Solaris7 Solaris9

and S10 looks like this

sysadm(a)tango $ ls /install/Solaris10/
0508 0509 0807 1008 1009 config
sysadm(a)tango $ ls /install/Solaris10/1009/
i386 Sparc

BUT, you did not want only to do a network install, you wanted a
diskless WS or?

/michael
From: syd_p on
On 12 May, 09:15, Michael Laajanen <michael_laaja...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]
> > put create the /export/js/config directory and add your files.  For a
> > completely unattended install with a valid profile and sysidcfg,
> > modify the boot command on the SPARCs to:
> >    OK> boot net - install
>
> > Good luck.
>
> I would recommend changing the jumpstart path to
> /export/js/s10_1009/sparc/ so you know which version is installed and
> also can have more than one version available.
>
> Myself have also Linux so I use
>
> sysadm(a)tango $ ls /install/
> CentOS       OpenSolaris  Solaris11    Solaris8     TT_DB
> FC           Solaris10    Solaris7     Solaris9
>
> and S10 looks like this
>
> sysadm(a)tango $ ls /install/Solaris10/
> 0508    0509    0807    1008    1009    config
> sysadm(a)tango $ ls /install/Solaris10/1009/
> i386   Sparc
>
> BUT, you did not want only to do a network install, you wanted a

Hey thanks guys - that has pointed me in the right direction, great.
I am just after a network install - well actually a diskless WS might
be next.
one thing I am not clear on the entries in /etc/ethers I had an idea
that the
add_install_client attended to these.
From: ITguy on
> one thing I am not clear on the entries in /etc/ethers I had an idea
> that the
> add_install_client attended to these.

You can omit the IP and MAC options from add_install_client if they
already in your system's config files.