From: b_crowell67 on
I have a three year old homebrewed machine that I'm very happy with in
most ways, but it has intermittent problems booting. I think the
problem
developed within the last year, so maybe it indicates something has
been
damaged by a power surge or something...?

Most of the time it boots fine, but maybe one time out of three, it
fails with a -.. (long-short-short) audio code. If it fails once, then
typically it fails a bunch more times before getting out of its rut
and booting successfully. The bios is Phoenix-Award BIOS 6.00 PG,
and apparently -.. is "video adapter failure." The mobo is an ECS
L4VXA2, and the video card is a GeForce2. The power supply is a
pretty good quality Antec 380 W supply (80 PLUS), and the machine only
only draws a peak power of 169 W during booting, so I don't think that
should be the issue. (I recently upgraded from a cheap 300 W supply to
the more efficient 380 W supply, and it doesn't seem to have had any
effect on the problem.)

Am I right in interpreting this as a problem with the video card? If
so, is there anything I can do other than just replacing the video
card? I'm interested in keeping power consumption low, and don't do
any gaming, so I don't want to get the latest, greatest video card.
Actually, if I can't solve this problem, I'm thinking of building a
new, lower-power-consumption system with a mobo that has integrated
video.

TIA!

-Ben

From: MacGyver on
On Mar 29, 2:31 pm, b_crowel...(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> I have a three year old homebrewed machine that I'm very happy with in
> most ways, but it has intermittent problems booting. I think the
> problem
> developed within the last year, so maybe it indicates something has
> been
> damaged by a power surge or something...?
>
> Most of the time it boots fine, but maybe one time out of three, it
> fails with a -.. (long-short-short) audio code. If it fails once, then
> typically it fails a bunch more times before getting out of its rut
> and booting successfully. The bios is Phoenix-Award BIOS 6.00 PG,
> and apparently -.. is "video adapter failure." The mobo is an ECS
> L4VXA2, and the video card is a GeForce2. The power supply is a
> pretty good quality Antec 380 W supply (80 PLUS), and the machine only
> only draws a peak power of 169 W during booting, so I don't think that
> should be the issue. (I recently upgraded from a cheap 300 W supply to
> the more efficient 380 W supply, and it doesn't seem to have had any
> effect on the problem.)
>
> Am I right in interpreting this as a problem with the video card? If
> so, is there anything I can do other than just replacing the video
> card? I'm interested in keeping power consumption low, and don't do
> any gaming, so I don't want to get the latest, greatest video card.
> Actually, if I can't solve this problem, I'm thinking of building a
> new, lower-power-consumption system with a mobo that has integrated
> video.
>
> TIA!
>
> -Ben

Sounds like it's the mobo, my first suggestion would be to clear the
CMOS, and go from there. If it's doing "long-short-short" it doesn't
sound like it would be the memory. Could be processor or video. See if
you can find a video card that is cheap but will work. You can
generally find these for nearly $50 or lower. If you end you with a
new card and the system still doesn't work, you'll at least be one
part up on the new low power machine! ;)

Jeff

From: Ben Crowell on
> Sounds like it's the mobo, my first suggestion would be to clear the
> CMOS, and go from there. If it's doing "long-short-short" it doesn't
> sound like it would be the memory. Could be processor or video. See if
> you can find a video card that is cheap but will work. You can
> generally find these for nearly $50 or lower. If you end you with a
> new card and the system still doesn't work, you'll at least be one
> part up on the new low power machine! ;)

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the advice!

Ben
From: Ed Medlin on

"Ben Crowell" <crowell07(a)lightSPAMandISmatterEVIL.com> wrote in message
>> Sounds like it's the mobo, my first suggestion would be to clear the
>> CMOS, and go from there. If it's doing "long-short-short" it doesn't
>> sound like it would be the memory. Could be processor or video. See if
>> you can find a video card that is cheap but will work. You can
>> generally find these for nearly $50 or lower. If you end you with a
>> new card and the system still doesn't work, you'll at least be one
>> part up on the new low power machine! ;)
>
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the advice!
>
> Ben

Your PSU can give errors and intermitten problems too. That would be my next
move after the video. (actually it would be my first move because I have
good PSUs around, but no video cards..........:-)

Ed

From: Ben Crowell on
Ed Medlin wrote:
> "Ben Crowell" <crowell07(a)lightSPAMandISmatterEVIL.com> wrote in message
>>> Sounds like it's the mobo, my first suggestion would be to clear the
>>> CMOS, and go from there. If it's doing "long-short-short" it doesn't
>>> sound like it would be the memory. Could be processor or video. See if
>>> you can find a video card that is cheap but will work. You can
>>> generally find these for nearly $50 or lower. If you end you with a
>>> new card and the system still doesn't work, you'll at least be one
>>> part up on the new low power machine! ;)
>> Hi Jeff,
>>
>> Thanks for the advice!
>>
>> Ben
>
> Your PSU can give errors and intermitten problems too. That would be my next
> move after the video. (actually it would be my first move because I have
> good PSUs around, but no video cards..........:-)
>
> Ed

I recently replaced the power supply (just to get more efficiency), and
it didn't affect the problem.