From: arthur.nudge on
On my experimental PC I decided to switch from the embedded vga to a
4x AGP card that I grabbed off ebay.

However, when I put the card in, the pc will not boot. The fans and HD
spin, but that's it. No speaker chirp or anything. Is the card toast,
or is there something obvious I'm missing?

I did check the bios, nothing interesting there, and the motherboard
manual doesn't list any jumpers or anything to disable the onboard
video.
FWIW, it's an elitegroup p4vmm motherboard, and a Gigabyte GeForce4
MX4000 128MB 8x/4x AGP card.

From: Mike T. on

<arthur.nudge(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> On my experimental PC I decided to switch from the embedded vga to a
> 4x AGP card that I grabbed off ebay.
>
> However, when I put the card in, the pc will not boot. The fans and HD
> spin, but that's it. No speaker chirp or anything. Is the card toast,
> or is there something obvious I'm missing?
>
> I did check the bios, nothing interesting there, and the motherboard
> manual doesn't list any jumpers or anything to disable the onboard
> video.
> FWIW, it's an elitegroup p4vmm motherboard, and a Gigabyte GeForce4
> MX4000 128MB 8x/4x AGP card.

First you need to find the exact specifications of your mainboard. There
were THREE different versions of it (P4VMM) released by ECS. I know the
latest version supported AGP 4X, but did all three of them? If you can
confirm that your board is AGP 4X compatible:

You must be missing something in the BIOS. There has to be a way to disable
onboard video. Otherwise, you have two video cards that are conflicting
with each other, both on the same AGP bus. (one built-in to mainboard) And
yes, your mainboard is acting EXACTLY as it should in that
ircumstance. -Dave

From: John Doe on
arthur.nudge(a)gmail.com wrote:

> On my experimental PC I decided to switch from the embedded vga to
> a 4x AGP card that I grabbed off ebay.

You get what you pay for.

> However, when I put the card in, the pc will not boot. The fans
> and HD spin, but that's it. No speaker chirp or anything. Is the
> card toast, or is there something obvious I'm missing?
>
> I did check the bios, nothing interesting there, and the
> motherboard manual doesn't list any jumpers or anything to disable
> the onboard video.

Look in Integrated Peripherals, including subcategories.
Also, make sure Init Display First is set to AGP.

http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/p4vmm.html
http://www.ecsusa.com/downloads/manual_p4v.html

Good luck.

From: arthur.nudge on

> First you need to find the exact specifications of your mainboard. There
> were THREE different versions of it (P4VMM) released by ECS. I know the
> latest version supported AGP 4X, but did all three of them? If you can
> confirm that your board is AGP 4X compatible:

I double checked, it's the p4vmm3, and the manual confirms that it
supports 4x.

> You must be missing something in the BIOS.

The only thing I can find is on the PCI/Plug and Play page:
Share Memory size [32mb]
Primary Graphics Adapter [AGP]
Allocate IRQ for PCI VGA [NO]

The manual claims that "the default AGP setting still lets the onboard
display work and allows the use of a second display card installed in
an AGP slot."

Thanks for the help so far.

From: BigJim on
does the board get to post? If it does then the card works if not, might be
a bad card or in the bios if you can set the boot priority for agp.