From: JClark on
On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:34:18 -0800, John Wunderlich
<jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:

>JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in
>
>> I suppose I'll have to do a windows reinstall, but I have a
>> problem there as well, since the Sony came without a Windows XP
>> CD. I've ordered one, belatedly. I don't suppose there is any way
>> I can install winXP from another CD (I have a lot of them) and put
>> in the product key for the Sony. I'm sure MS wouldn't like that.
>>

>Many times, manufacturers place everything you need to reinstall
>Windows on a separate recovery partition. According to your manual,
>you might be able to recover as follows:
>
>VAIO Recovery Guide -- RPovides information about restoring
>individual software programs, seftword drivers, and drive partition
>(s) or your entire hard disk drive to the original factory installed
>settings. To access this on-screen guide:
>1. Clice Start, point to All Programs, and click VAIO Support Central
>2. Click VAIO Documentation
>3. Click VAIO Recovery Guide.
>
>Good Luck,
> John
Hello John,
I think the problem is solved! I wanted to post the apparent solution
in case any other unfortunate users run into the same problem. What I
found was that ZoneAlarm had been incompletely installed and the
residual workings of that program were apparently cutting off my
internet access after about 3-6 minutes. I have no more detailed
explanation. The ZoneAlarm program doesn't lend itself to any
uninstall other than with their own uninstall file, and that was
missing in this system. Here's how to do a clean uninstall of ZA:

http://www.manac.com.au/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=820

Now I'm having no problems, but will continue to run it and see if
it's really clean.
Again, thanks for your input.

Jack
From: John Wunderlich on

> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:34:18 -0800, John Wunderlich
> <jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:
>
>> JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in
>>
>>> I suppose I'll have to do a windows reinstall, but I have a
>>> problem there as well, since the Sony came without a Windows XP
>>> CD. I've ordered one, belatedly. I don't suppose there is any
>>> way I can install winXP from another CD (I have a lot of them)
>>> and put in the product key for the Sony. I'm sure MS wouldn't
>>> like that.
>>>

>> Many times, manufacturers place everything you need to reinstall
>> Windows on a separate recovery partition. According to your
>> manual, you might be able to recover as follows:
>>
>> VAIO Recovery Guide -- RPovides information about restoring
>> individual software programs, seftword drivers, and drive
>> partition (s) or your entire hard disk drive to the original
>> factory installed settings. To access this on-screen guide:
>> 1. Clice Start, point to All Programs, and click VAIO Support
>> Central 2. Click VAIO Documentation
>> 3. Click VAIO Recovery Guide.
>>
>> Good Luck,
>> John
> Hello John,
> I think the problem is solved! I wanted to post the apparent
> solution in case any other unfortunate users run into the same
> problem. What I found was that ZoneAlarm had been incompletely
> installed and the residual workings of that program were
> apparently cutting off my internet access after about 3-6 minutes.
> I have no more detailed explanation. The ZoneAlarm program doesn't
> lend itself to any uninstall other than with their own uninstall
> file, and that was missing in this system. Here's how to do a
> clean uninstall of ZA:
>
> http://www.manac.com.au/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=820
>
> Now I'm having no problems, but will continue to run it and see if
> it's really clean.
> Again, thanks for your input.
>
> Jack

Thanks for closing the loop. It makes a lot of sense.

If your wanted to persue Live Linux (if just for curiosity), there
are other flavors of Linux than Knoppix. Try Ubuntu. The installer
disk has a "Try without install" option which is the equivalent of a
Knoppix disk.

<http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>

I've had problems with the Knoppix DVD. I get one chance to boot and
if that doesn't work my DVD drive is somehow disabled and it won't
boot a second time... I have to boot to Windows to reset my DVD
drive. Strange.

-- John
From: Anteaus on

Don't overlook this as a possible cause:

http://mylogon.net/support/psave

Extremely common, and gives a range of symptoms including those you mention.

From: JClark on
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 17:36:34 -0800, John Wunderlich
<jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:

>JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in
>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 18:34:18 -0800, John Wunderlich
>> <jwunderlich(a)lycos.com> wrote:
>>
>>> JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in

>>> Many times, manufacturers place everything you need to reinstall
>>> Windows on a separate recovery partition. According to your
>>> manual, you might be able to recover as follows:
>>>
>>> VAIO Recovery Guide -- RPovides information about restoring
>>> individual software programs, seftword drivers, and drive
>>> partition (s) or your entire hard disk drive to the original
>>> factory installed settings. To access this on-screen guide:
>>> 1. Clice Start, point to All Programs, and click VAIO Support
>>> Central 2. Click VAIO Documentation
>>> 3. Click VAIO Recovery Guide.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>> John
>> Hello John,
>> I think the problem is solved! I wanted to post the apparent
>> solution in case any other unfortunate users run into the same
>> problem. What I found was that ZoneAlarm had been incompletely
>> installed and the residual workings of that program were
>> apparently cutting off my internet access after about 3-6 minutes.
>> I have no more detailed explanation. The ZoneAlarm program doesn't
>> lend itself to any uninstall other than with their own uninstall
>> file, and that was missing in this system. Here's how to do a
>> clean uninstall of ZA:
>>
>> http://www.manac.com.au/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=820
>>
>> Now I'm having no problems, but will continue to run it and see if
>> it's really clean.
>> Again, thanks for your input.
>>
>> Jack
>>

>Thanks for closing the loop. It makes a lot of sense.
>
>If your wanted to persue Live Linux (if just for curiosity), there
>are other flavors of Linux than Knoppix. Try Ubuntu. The installer
>disk has a "Try without install" option which is the equivalent of a
>Knoppix disk.
>
> <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>
>
>I've had problems with the Knoppix DVD. I get one chance to boot and
>if that doesn't work my DVD drive is somehow disabled and it won't
>boot a second time... I have to boot to Windows to reset my DVD
>drive. Strange.
>
>-- John
I'll play with Linux again this coming weekend. Thanks again.

Jack
From: JClark on
On Sun, 30 Nov 2008 23:48:05 -0800, Anteaus
<Anteaus(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Don't overlook this as a possible cause:
>
>http://mylogon.net/support/psave
>
>Extremely common, and gives a range of symptoms including those you mention.
>
>"John Wunderlich" wrote:
>
>> JClark <jclark(a)nomail.invalid> wrote in

>> > Hello John,
>> > I think the problem is solved! I wanted to post the apparent
>> > solution in case any other unfortunate users run into the same
>> > problem. What I found was that ZoneAlarm had been incompletely
>> > installed and the residual workings of that program were
>> > apparently cutting off my internet access after about 3-6 minutes.
>> > I have no more detailed explanation. The ZoneAlarm program doesn't
>> > lend itself to any uninstall other than with their own uninstall
>> > file, and that was missing in this system. Here's how to do a
>> > clean uninstall of ZA:
>> >
>> > http://www.manac.com.au/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=820
>> >
>> > Now I'm having no problems, but will continue to run it and see if
>> > it's really clean.
>> > Again, thanks for your input.
>> >
>> > Jack
>> >

>> Thanks for closing the loop. It makes a lot of sense.
>>
>> If your wanted to persue Live Linux (if just for curiosity), there
>> are other flavors of Linux than Knoppix. Try Ubuntu. The installer
>> disk has a "Try without install" option which is the equivalent of a
>> Knoppix disk.
>>
>> <http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download>
>>
>> I've had problems with the Knoppix DVD. I get one chance to boot and
>> if that doesn't work my DVD drive is somehow disabled and it won't
>> boot a second time... I have to boot to Windows to reset my DVD
>> drive. Strange.
>>
>> -- John

Anteaus,
Nice link. I did come across a similar suggestion which is quite
appropriate. With my problem, I did uncheck the "allow computer to
disable this device" in the network adapter, but it didn't work for
me.
Thanks

Jack