From: alex23 on
a...(a)pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
> If a new-ish term is being introduced,
> expecting each person to search for the meaning is rude.

The question then becomes how does one determine whether a term one is
using needs defining? Does OO? How about FP? Or TDD? Is there a metric
for how many years or how many journals etc a concept needs to exist
within before we just assume people know it? If something is
ridiculously obvious to you, does that necessarily hold true for
everyone else?

Or is it just easier to assume that people within a specific domain
have the means to fill in their gaps of understanding themselves?
From: Robert Kern on
On 6/13/10 8:43 PM, alex23 wrote:
> a...(a)pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>> If a new-ish term is being introduced,
>> expecting each person to search for the meaning is rude.
>
> The question then becomes how does one determine whether a term one is
> using needs defining?

When someone asks for the definition.

--
Robert Kern

an underlying truth."
-- Umberto Eco

From: Terry Reedy on
On 6/13/2010 9:43 PM, alex23 wrote:
> a...(a)pythoncraft.com (Aahz) wrote:
>> If a new-ish term is being introduced,
>> expecting each person to search for the meaning is rude.
>
> The question then becomes how does one determine whether a term one is
> using needs defining?

If it has never be used before on Python list, then is definitely
qualifies. Come on, BDD was very recently coined by someone writing a
book which has a relatively small following. Maybe it should become
bigger. Maybe not.

Even the Wikipedia definition, which someone else quoted, does not mean
much to me.