Prev: SSD
Next: SDHC in Fuji T4215
From: Chuck on
I recently purchased a tablet PC (Fujitsu ST5011D) on ebay. In the item
description, it stated that "I just installed Windows TabletXP, but it needs
to be activated." Fine and dandy, valid COA on the back per auction images.
Well. Upon attempting
activation, I was informed that I had an "invalid product key". I downloaded
and ran Magical Jellybean to get the PK from within the system itself, and it
gave me a completely *DIFFERENT* PK than the COA (and said it was running
Windows XP Pro). When I tried to activate with that, I was told that I had an
"unauthorized" PK. Tried the "activate via phone" option, and after reading
the eight-zillion-number string off to Friendly Computer Lady, I was told it
was invalid, and given the steps to change the PK, which, of course,
basically just takes you back the the beginning again. I have read that
somewhere in the depths of that call, I can get to a real person, and they
should be able to activate for me. Is this true, or is there some other
option, or do I need to sic Paypal on this guy's keister?

From: Jaime on
Well, it sure doesn't sound like you got a valid key from the ebayer.

Personally, I would be contacting the seller first before messing around
playing phone tag.

don't think you need to contact Paypal, just directly contact the seller
first.
--
James
Bart: "According to creationism, there were no cavemen."

From: Rainald Taesler on
Chuck wrote:
> ... I have
> read that somewhere in the depths of that call, I can get to a real
> person, and they should be able to activate for me. Is this true, or
> is there some other option, or do I need to sic Paypal on this guy's
> keister?

Yes, this is true.
MS will help you on this.
You have a valid licence sticking to your TabletPC - this a special
thing for the TabletPC OS-version which ever was sold separately.

As to my experience this way will be a lot shorter than fighting with
the seller who obviously has installed the OS with an invalid version.

Rainald
P.S. It seems that you did not get the CDs for the IS. This is a very
important issue as in case of a necessary re-install you will have no
media und be in biggest possible troubles. Contact Fujitsu support and
ask if the still have CDs available.

From: Rainald Taesler on
Chuck wrote:
> ... I have
> read that somewhere in the depths of that call, I can get to a real
> person, and they should be able to activate for me. Is this true, or
> is there some other option, or do I need to sic Paypal on this guy's
> keister?

Yes, this is true.
MS will help you on this.
You have a valid licence sticking to your TabletPC - this a special
thing for the TabletPC OS-version which ever was sold separately.

As to my experience this way will be a lot shorter than fighting with
the seller who obviously has installed the OS with an invalid version.

Prior to calling MS you might try the following:
1.) Use the MS "Windows Product Key Update Tool"
http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=35531b27-4ba3-4849-8054-6c84abc82d6f

2.) Read KB-Article 328874 and follow the steps shown there
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/en-us

3.) Try to change the key with "Magical Jelly Bean" v. 1.5.1.
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/old.shtml
http://www.magicaljellybean.com/files/keyfinder.v1.51.zip
This version was the last one which had the feature of *changing* the
key.

HTH
Rainald
P.P. Pls report back
P.P.S. It seems that you did not get the CDs for the OS. This is a very

From: Chuck on
OK, none of this stuff seems to have worked, or at least not in the way I was
anticipating. When I bring up the activation window, it shows the PK that's
on the back of the tablet. Whether this is an actual change, or just because
it's the last thing I manually input, I don't know. Either way, it still
won't activate. Called MS and got to a real person--"Ben", riiiight--who told
me the same thing Friendly Computer lady did: change the PK and call us
back., Well, $^#%^*, if it was working right, I wouldn't call you guys at
all, would I?? Arghh. I'll give it one more try and try to head "Bob" or
whoever I get off at the pass and explain the situation. I just don't
understand why it won't activate--you basically can't get a bad copy; they
were ONLY given to OEMs. It's TabletXP--why won't the tabletXP PK &$#@(*
activate it?!?

"Rainald Taesler" wrote:

> Chuck wrote:
> > ... I have
> > read that somewhere in the depths of that call, I can get to a real
> > person, and they should be able to activate for me. Is this true, or
> > is there some other option, or do I need to sic Paypal on this guy's
> > keister?
>
> Yes, this is true.
> MS will help you on this.
> You have a valid licence sticking to your TabletPC - this a special
> thing for the TabletPC OS-version which ever was sold separately.
>
> As to my experience this way will be a lot shorter than fighting with
> the seller who obviously has installed the OS with an invalid version.
>
> Prior to calling MS you might try the following:
> 1.) Use the MS "Windows Product Key Update Tool"
> http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/XPPkuinst.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=35531b27-4ba3-4849-8054-6c84abc82d6f
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=45668
>
> 2.) Read KB-Article 328874 and follow the steps shown there
>
> 3.) Try to change the key with "Magical Jelly Bean" v. 1.5.1.
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/old.shtml
> http://www.magicaljellybean.com/files/keyfinder.v1.51.zip
> This version was the last one which had the feature of *changing* the
> key.
>
> HTH
> Rainald
> P.P. Pls report back
> P.P.S. It seems that you did not get the CDs for the OS. This is a very
> important issue as in case of a necessary re-install you will have no
> media und be in biggest possible troubles. Contact Fujitsu support and
> ask if the still have CDs available.
>

> .
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2